Unhappy employee

I would like to hear your opinion on a situation like this: you have an employee that has been with the company for years, ee does a great job and is recognized by the clients. Performance evaluations are usually very good to GREAT in regards to completing his work and essential functions of the job. HOWEVER, ee has an attitude. Never thinks he is recognized for his job, never feels satisfied with salary, holds on to the one little comment given towards improving something work related (forgets all the other 99 comments about the great work accomplished), and the list goes on and on and on .... recently, this employee wrote an email saying he hates his job and is applying internally for other similar positions (since no one recognizes his work).

bottom line: he wants (almost demands) a raise because so many clients think he does a wonderful job [and he indeed does so].

The challenge here is how to get this employee to change his attitude (I find it almost impossible since the history has been there for a long time, way before I joined the company)... and how to make his/our work relationship better since we have been clearly informed on his email of his "unhappiness" and searches for a new job. Just to reiterate, he is happy that he gets the recognition from the clients but unhappy that we don't show appreciation by giving him more $$$ (as his employer ).... note: his salary is in alignment with others in same position. Actually few dollars higher hourly basis. also he got a raise 6 months ago.

I'm curious to hear comments on how you would deal with this situation.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You cannot change someones attitude towards their job. I find it curious that he is looking internally for a position instead of leaving the company since the "company" is the reason he doesn't like his job.

He is fishing to see if he complains enough your company will fall to his demands of more money/benefits.
    It seems, although not knowing the ER / EE relationship, that you have given this ee recognition just not to his satisfaction.

If he is disrupting the workforce or badmouthing the company to his clients or fellow ees discipline him immediately.

Everyone thinks, The grass is always greener... let him test this theory.

• Would call him on it and ask him specifically what his expectations are letting him know that his work is appreciated and that the company believes we've recognized this by his rate of pay, recent raise, etc. There are few people that would say they are underpaid. Does he believe this is the case?

Sounds like he may be a bit more high maintenance as some folks are. How does he get along with his co-workers and manager?
  • Unless his bad attitude is affecting others, why deal with it at all? So, he is unhappy.

All previous efforts to try to recognize his accomplishments haven't made any difference. Why should any new approach work better?

My thinking is as long as he is doing his job well, let him be unhappy.

When it starts affecting his work performance or other people, confront him. Otherwise, I'd just ignore him.
  • Hi, Marie, and if no one else has mentioned it, welcome to the forum!

I think you've had some good advice from both above; I just wanted to share a story. I have one long-time employee that practically ran the department she worked in. She decided what she did, how long it took her, what she didn't do, etc. There was much negativity in that department as well - some deserved, some not. We removed the supervisor (best move we ever made - he's happier and so are we) and her review was actually due at that time. The new supervisor (who I never thought she'd accept) had the guts to be honest and tell her that her attitude was going to decide her future. He said she was capable of performing at a higher level - training others, filling in as supervisor when he was gone, hitting time targets, working on new parts, working on difficult parts, etc. She did not get a raise with that review, but was told if she turned it around, she would. I thought she'd be gone within 90 days, but within 60 she picked it up and got the raise and has been doing great since.

That isn't a direct parallel to your story, but I wanted to illustrate that if people are properly motivated, they can change. The key is that they gotta wanna do it.

We all want to be recognized for a job well done. I try to make praise a part of my normal day (although overdoing it is just as bad) - even for something as silly as turning something in to me early. I might sit down with this EE and ask him what he wants in the way of praise (making no promises, of course). It could be that an occasional comment might be plenty to make him happy. That said, the above example and one other not so drastic story are the only two cases where I have seen it work out. Usually the employee just needs a change. Some people will suck the lifeblood out of you and it still isn't enough.

I agree that it is a bit odd that the EE wants to stay with the company, but it could be that the true problem is with the supervisor. It could be that a change of scenery is all he needs to perk up. Good luck, and please do provide an update of what you did and how it worked out. It's so easy to type something out for advice, but who knows if it will work.
  • People all have different patterns of behavior. Some are chronically unhappy but some use complaints and whining to get things they want just as some use anger and hostility to achieve their ends. No matter the reason or the method, people repeat patterns of successful behavior. That is how HR predicts what they will do in a given situation. Too often, we reward the quiet worker with more work, walk on eggshells around the hostile angry worker, and reward the chronic whiner with more money and praise to shut him up. If you reward bad behavior, you will certainly get more bad behavior along with the risk of offending your good workers.

What you need to do here is step back and honestly evaluate the organization and the person. If the complaints have merit, soon others will be unhappy. Do the complaints point out a flaw in the way the organization works? Are you being unfair to a segment of the workforce? An organizational change would affect all the employees in that segment. On the other hand, is it the employee? If so, I would bring him in and go over issues with him. Tell him he is being fairly compensated and that complaints and whining will not get him more. Further tell him that if he is that unhappy he might better go and work elsewhere and you will part the best of friends. Grumbling and whining can become a cancer and spread through the workforce. Do not be held hostage to the fact that he can do his job. The competent trouble maker causes more grief and long term cost than you know. You only see the tip of the iceberg. Turn him around or cut the ties.
  • "People all have different patterns of behavior. Some are chronically unhappy but some use complaints and whining to get things they want just as some use anger and hostility to achieve their ends. No matter the reason or the method, people repeat patterns of successful behavior. That is how HR predicts what they will do in a given situation. Too often, we reward the quiet worker with more work, walk on eggshells around the hostile angry worker, and reward the chronic whiner with more money and praise to shut him up. If you reward bad behavior, you will certainly get more bad behavior along with the risk of offending your good workers. "

Well said!
  • Hi Marie!

We have a nurse in our practice that displays these same attributes. She is a great clinical employee - knows her stuff, etc., but she is definitely high maintenance. She has been in several departments, but the same things happen - someone looks at her wrong and she gets upset...her co-workers feel they have to tip toe around her to keep from getting her upset. She cries at the drop of a hat. She is one of those individuals you can look at and tell she is just a miserably unhappy person in general.

We are going to have the "talk" with her on Monday concerning attitude and the choice will be hers to straighten up her act, get any type help she might need, either medically or psychologically, or she needs to move on.

I have found that you cannot make anyone happy and that's okay, as long as their "unhappiness" does not poison the entire department they work in.

Good luck on this one!

• Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. I agree with comments received. we definitely do not want to agree with his "demands" as this will send the wrong message. In regards to other co-workers and his attitude ... Yes, they do agree the attitude is there but there's been no big issues w/ others (... at least not that we are aware of yet). In any case, we are meeting with him next week and I will send an update.

• Good luck Marie and do let us know how it goes.
  • I am the type of person who doesn't need much recognition and create my own satisfaction. However, there ae employees out there that are "miserable" with themselves all the time, and it carries over.
    I agree that employees shouldn't get special recognition and this sounds like a high maintenance person. However, since he has made you aware of his unhappiness, sometimes all the person needs is a minute to be talked with. I would suggest that the supervisor sit down and have a heart to heart. Recognize that the employee has expressed his unhappiness. Give him a period to vent his feelings by just saying, would you like to talk about it. See if you can get him to open up. If he brings up money, nothing is wrong with saying you would like to be able to pay everyone more, but that isn't realistic. You feel that he is paid well for the job he does and explain to him how he could be considered for more $. (Take more responsibility, change jobs, work more hours, etc.) Let him say his peace. Don't make any promises, but let him know that someone hears him. Then talk with him honestly about how he comes across to others and what he can do to improve (and perhaps get more money/responsibility/positions) by showing improvement. If he is so unhappy, he is the only one that can controll this and you will be glad to work with him, but can't controll his life. If he says his clients love him, say you would expect this because that is his job and recognize him for a job well done IN THAT RESPECTS ONLY. (Make him see that this isn't the only part of his job.) Let him know you want to make him successful, but his attitude is getting in his way. I bet you will find that there is something else underneath all of this.
    E Wart
  • Good advice, E! Something else I thought of - if you have an Employee Assistance Program, encourage him to make use of it. If you don't, you might look into getting one.