need a hiring process - policy

Does anyone have a written policy that they'd be willing to share with me regarding the evaluation of job applicants and the decision making process? We've just had a claim from an employee that a recent job posting wasn't handled fairly, so the administration is considering implementing a procedure for evaluating applications, resumes and interview performance, as well as some sort of checklist for decision making.

I'm trying to fight this as I think instituting a policy or procedure would be too inflexible to allow us to hire someone for a position based on personal and professional references and personality fit for the job (we're in social services). But if someone out there has a policy or procedure in place that really does seem to work, I'd love to see it. (Should this be posted in HR Documents? Sorry.)

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Just out of curiousity, who is involved in the hiring process in your organization? Just you or are multiple people involved? Who has the authority to actually hire someone?

If you have a multiple people involved a policy that outlines the process how a position is advertised, how applicants are processed, interviews, etc... could be helpful.

Like you said, you would want some flexibility written in as well.

• I sit in on all interviews (to make sure no one says anything or reacts to someone saying anything that is protected, and to explain our benefits), but I have no hiring authority, though I am frequently asked my opinion. The direct supervisor is actually supposed to conduct the interview. Only the top dog, the Chief Executive Officer, can make a job offer, and does so on the hiring manager's recommendation. We therefore have a two stage interview process for almost all positions.

>a policy that outlines the process how a position is advertised, how applicants are processed, interviews, etc... could be helpful.

We have a policy on how jobs are advertised, but nothing to cover the other items on your list. That's what I'm asking for in this thread.
  • We have three basic levels of screening. When written applications come in, they are screened by HR for basic qualifications. This screens out folks who apply but have no qualifications at all. After this, HR interviews the remaining candidates. From these interviews, a list is made of possible hires. A second interview involves the supervisor or supervisors who will work with the candidate. It might also involve a tour of the work area. After this set of interviews, the committee develops a very short list of candidates and references are checked. A high degree of importance is given to references when a member of the committee knows the person contacted regarding the reference. The reference checks and opinions of the committee generally result in a consensus of the best candidate. If not, a third interview is scheduled to take a look at the remaining candidates in order to come to a decision. By that time there are generally only two remaining candidates or three at the most.
  • atrimble:

We do have a detailed policy (I don't want to post the entire 2 pgs of text from our Policy Manual to the list, but I'll summarize here:

All open positions are normally posted in-house (by e-mail) for 5 business days before any employment offer is made. (We reserve the right to shorten the 5 day posting in ESPECIALLY URGENT situations.)

All ads and announcements, internal + external, for open positions, must be placed by HR.

HR screens resumes, and refers qualified applicants to the hiring division director, who selects applicants of interest.

HR the does brief phone screening interview w/ applicants of interest.

In the 1st round of face interviews, the applicant would be seen by my Assoc. Dir. and by the division director (for admin/entry level positions); or by myself and the division director (for exempt professional-level positions).

From the 1st round interviews, we usually select 1 or 2 (max 3) finalists to be seen in 2nd round interviews by myself and the Exec. VP (for entry level positions); or by the Exec. VP (for exempt positions; and for division heads and above, also by the CEO).

Based on debrief of candidates with the division director, Exec. VP, and myself, an offer is presented by HR to the candidate selected.

Hope this is helpful.
  • Atrimble,

Given your situation, I might recommend you create a policy that simply outlines the mechanics of your hiring process. If you want to get more specific than that, you could include some brief information about how to avoid discrimination issues, accommodation, etc.

My experience is that anything too lengthy doesn't get read so keep it brief.

As for checklists, I think they are great as an internal tool but I wouldn't add include them in any official policy.

And as always, don't write a policy that will not be followed.
  • I am looking for details in the policy.

For example, do you evaluate your applicants on a five or ten point scale, or give them a grade (A, B, C, D, or F), and how do you assess they fit into the respective classification?

Or is it simply process of elimination - Applicant Annie has the education but not the experience so she's at the bottom of the list, Applicant Bernie has the experience, but not the degree, so he goes to the bottom, too. Applicant Chas has both experience and education, but he failed a personal reference check. That leaves Applicant Donna, who has education, experience and background. But she interviewed horribly, so now what do we do?

Do you have an official scoring procedure, so that if all applicants have what seem like equally impressive credentials, that one of them sticks out because they got three great references instead of two, or they've got a very personable attitude? It's these subjective things that I know will be the downfall of any official, written hiring procedures, but...!?!
  • If you are looking for an "objective" way to evaluate multiple applicants, e-mail me and I will send you info on a system I purchased recently that helps you create a list "behavioral" interview questions based on the needs of the position. As you interview each applicant, you simply add a "plus" or "minus" to each question based on whether the applicant demonstrated that behavior in their answer.

I like the system as it focuses on behavior and it offers the objective, step by step approach to hiring that you seem to be looking for.

Just private e-mail me and I will give you the info. I don't want to "advertise" a product here.