Can they handle the truth - how much to disclose?

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-13-06 AT 05:23PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Thanks to all for the good advice on a prior posting about auto-responses and applicants that apply repeatedly.

We have had 5 or 6 recent re-applies who aren't on our call-back list for new openings. What these 5 or 6 have in common is that they didn't return our call from the last time they applied or show up for the interview (no call/no show).

For those falling into this category, what do the rest of you do in these circumstances? Do you tell them due to the fact that they either didn't return our call or show up for their scheduled phone or on-site interview that they aren't being considered further?

Not sure if anyone has ever told them why they're not being considered so we're considering telling them why they're not hearing back from us. We thought it might make them aware that past actions do have bearing on future employment chances. Hopefully they would think twice before not following up with other interested employers and blowing their chances with them.

We know that unforeseen situations happen and don't count it against those who do let us know that something has happened and they won't be able to make it or that timing is bad and ask to be considered for future openings.

If the applicants reapplying would even acknowledge in their cover letter or e-mail that they have applied in the past and due to circumstances, etc. weren't able to make the appointment, we would likely give them another chance.

The folks we're talking about are applying as if they're brand new applicants.

Your advice is appreciated!

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It could be that they are sending out a zillion resumes and don't really remember applying for your company. (But if they're that desparate, then you'd think they'd return your call!) When I try to reach someone for an interview, I try to call at least three times, and I document the times and dates. I might even take the number home and call in the evening - if people are working, it can be difficult to catch them. There is also the case of the roommate/significant other/applicant accidentally hitting delete on the voice mail before listening to it or some such thing. I have also sent a letter asking them to contact me (although I think they sometimes think it is just a reject letter and pitch it). I also try to emphasize that they can leave me a voice mail message at any time (evening or whatever) with a number where I can reach them, and I ask for a call back if they are no longer interested.

That said, not all those things should happen all the time! If I get someone that reapplies after I have left messages, I ask them why they didn't return my call. If someone stood me up for an interview (I had two NCNS interviews in one day last week!) without a call of explanation, they'd be off my list and I probably would tell them that if they reapplied or called. It sounds like you're plenty generous if people are up front with you - good for you.

PS - "applicants that apply repeatedly" - I call them habitual appliers. :>)
  • Thanks for the advice.

I should have clarified sooner. You're right in noting that sometimes messages don't get passed along or deleted in error (have had family members do this to me or not recall the correct info).

The folks we're talking about we have actually spoken to by either setting up their phone interview or after a successful phone interview to set-up the on-site one.

We've changed how we do phone interviews as we now schedule a time to do the interview rather than trying to do it at the time we make contact. Seems to go over much better as it allows the candidates more time to prepare and be less rushed.
  • Then I would tell them that based on their previous contact with the company, they will not be considered as a candidate. At this point, you'll likely get every exucse in the world, to which I would politely but firmly say that if they had called or otherwise notified you, that situation would not have affected their "candidacy" or application or whatever word you wish to use.

In short, I would say something. There was one guy that when he called to ask why he wasn't hired, I referred him to Nebraska Workforce Development (our State DOL) for some interviewing training. He seemed to have good skills on paper, but interviewed terribly and we couldn't justify hiring.

PS - I also schedule a time for a phone interview rather than surprising them. It does work better that way.

• From your message, I couldn't tell if these folks just sent in blanket resumes (which if that was the case, I would just document the reason why not considered and file it away.) If they actually called you to be interviewed, I would tell them the truth, Didn't show up for scheduled interview and didn't let us know so therefore, we don't reconsdier. They may give you a very valid reason that may make you want to reconsider. Or, they may say OH, and hang up.
    Unless they have contacted you by phone or personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I am sure these would be blanket mailings.
    E Wart