Applicants that apply again and again and again...

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-07-06 AT 10:56AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Hi all,

We have some persistent yet unqualified candidates who seem to believe that sending us numerous copies of their information will make them a more attractive candidate. We also have applicants who have interviewed with us, weren't selected and were sent a "no letter" who continue to send us their information the next time a job is posted even if their interview was a month ago.

Our auto-response for e-mail applicants is: "Thank you for expressing an interest in employment opportunities at XXX. It is reassuring to know that we are able to attract someone with your credentials. Your resume will be reviewed by our employment staff. If your background is a match with any of our current openings, we will be in contact with you. If not, your resume will be kept on file for future reference.

Again, thank you for considering XXX as your employer of choice. We wish you success in your career endeavors.

Same message is sent via a postcard to those sending a hard copy of their resume or completing an application.

Since they're not getting the message that if we wanted to discuss opportunities with them, we would be in contact with them, we're looking for another response to send to these applicants. We would like consistency in responding although there are those we would like to say "stop sending us your info, you have almost no chance of being hired here now or in the immediate future."

Also, putting ourselves in a candidate's shoes, can see where it would be a benefit to them to know they're not under consideration so they don't waste their time.

It may be that the best response is to continue to track the re-applies and do nothing hoping that eventually they'll get the hint.

Any and all advice is welcomed.

Thanks!

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I know it can be frustrating, Mary. I have an applicant who has called me every day for the past week and a half asking if we "have job yet". He comes from Bosnia and his cousin works here. I tell him every day that we will not be hiring until May. It's almost 2:00 and he'll be calling shortly. The truth is, come May, I'll probably be giving him a good look based on his cousin's and his other countrymens' performance. (Wow, is that discrimination?)

Now to my point. Job hunting is the hardest, scariest, most frustrating, and most humiliating experience a person can have, especially for someone new to this country. Having been on the other side, I still say, "The worst day at work is still better than the best day of job hunting."

Give these people as much slack as you can, Mary,even if it causes you a little extra work. I make it a point to meet, greet,and spend just a couple minutes with every walk in applicant and answer and return ALL applicant phone calls. They may not like my answers all the time, but they sure appreciate the respect when they're stuck in the snake pit known as the job hunting arena.

Try to understand their position, Mary. Your payback is this: By reaching out with kindness and respect, your company's reputation in the community will be very much enhanced as an "employer of choice", even when you're not hiring. I've seen it happen.
  • Larry is right on. The application process is a "PR" issue for your organization. Its tough to draw the line between a persistent (good) applicant and a clueless (bad) busybody.

I try to remember these are people that I am dealiing with and offer them the respect and courtesy that they deserve. Honesty is always a good policy as well. If someone doesn't have a shot at getting hired, I will just level with them and tell them that I dont want to waste their valuable job-searching time.

There is a lady in Spokane that calls me every year at least once. We talk for about 15 minutes. It never goes anywhere. In fact, she can't really even leave Spokane. But she seems to like to talk about living and working on the coast.

I have hired folks who were in contact for me for years. For whatever reason, the timing never worked... then it did! They greatly appreciated my patience and many of those ee's are still in touch with me long after they have left my employ.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-07-06 AT 02:07PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Thanks for your input. We were trying to sort out the best way to handle this. As you rightly point out, there are some that fall into categories that we would hire but currently don't have an opening and those that aren't a match for our current skill sets. We set aside the ones we see as good fits for future openings, advising them that we'll stay in touch.

We are fortunate to be a good place to work and the word has gotten out within our community. People are applying based on the fact they want to work here doing basically anything. We also realize that this could change rapidly and the goodwill we've worked to build up over the years could quickly dissipate if we don't handle it properly.

What we didn't want to do is leave people hanging if there isn't a likelihood of them getting in at this time for an interview. We can sense their frustration when they e-mail us back asking if we've gotten their resume and when they can come in for an interview.

I remember being in this boat and didn't like the "unknown" of am I a fit, will they call and would have liked a straightforward response of "no, not at this time and here's what we would recommend doing if this is the path you want to pursue."

We'll come up with a message to update them on the status of their application if they're not in the running for an opening and give advice about what skills/experience the ones selected for the next round had so they can work on them and be better prepared for the next time we have an opening.

We are lucky to have people who have left to pursue other opportunities call us when they start looking. So far this year, we've rehired six former associates. We also are fortunate to have our team members giving us referrals for new hires. We conduct a courtesy phone screen even if they're not the best candidates out of respect for the people that referred them to us.
  • I agree with you that the "unknown" is always hard, but I suspect if you had been told you would be considered for future positions, you would not continue to call. Some people don't get that and I'm not sure you can educate them. I think you just have to keep turning them down.

I also know in some states applicants for various programs (unemployment benefits being one of them) have to prove that they are actively seeking employment. They will call businesses that they know will turn them down, so thay can report x number of inquiries at the following companies. You may be experiencing a little of that, which you can't control.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • I believe you need to change your auto-response to take out all of the words of "flower and beauty of the their resume". It should say nothing more than "we got it, if considered appropriate and qualified, we will contact you at a date in the future.

We keep updating the file and tossing the ones older than 90-days.

PORK
  • I agree with what the other posters are saying about treating applicants with a lot of kindness and class -- it's the right thing to do as well as good for your company's rep. However, the following statement you quoted troubled me a bit: "It is reassuring to know that we are able to attract someone with your credentials." I think I would change that, because it doesn't seem like it could be truthful in all cases. We have a "regret" letter that's cordial and appreciative of their interest, and it lets them down easy. But it doesn't say that we thought they were impressive, well-credentialed, or anything else that would give them false hope for future openings.

I want to add that I really commend you for not wanting to leave people hanging. That kind of sentiment, I'm sure, has gone a long way toward building good will for your company.
  • I think that you can say this in a way that is kind, yet get your point across.

I have several different resume answer letters and I use them as needed.

In your case I would probably say.

Thank you for applying for employment with XYZ company. Your application has been reviewed and considered. We are looking for someone with with a different skillset.

We do wish you well with your future and finding your ideal position.

Thanks again for considering XYZ.