One for the Record Books

Okay....I need your expertise on this one as I have never encountered this before.

Supervisor made an offer to Candidate A and he accepted. HR has sent him an offer letter, etc. When announcement was made to the office Candidate A was to work in, Employee B burst into tears. Supervisor wanted to know what was wrong.

It appears that in a former job these two employees knew each other. The story from Employee B is that Candidate A filed a sexual harassment complaint against her which, of course, was not true and caused her great mental pain and anguish. She states she will quit if this person comes to work for us as she cannot work with him.

I have not talked with Candidate A yet, to (1) make sure this actually is true and (2) to hear his side of the story and (3) to give him an opportunity to bow out as he may not want to work with her under these circumstances.

Oh wise ones, how would you handle this??? HELP.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • There is much more to this story, I'm sure. I think you are on the right track. I would get the FULL story from ee B before you talk to ee A. I would be honest with A and get his full story. I would then talk to my bosses and make a decision. The details would lead my course of action.
  • OK I'll go first. I had a similar circumstance many years ago. I had an "employee B" whom I did not want to lose, piss off, or in any other way, disrespect or show lack of concern. So I called "candidate A" and rescinded the offer. Here's what you say: "I am sorry to inform you taht our offer must be rescinded. When I introduced your name to our employee group the reception was, shall I say, frosty at best. Therefore, out of respect to our employee group, our offer is off the table."

The sooner you do this the better to avoid any estoppel issues with your candidate and to alleviate the agony of your employee. I'll assume you did your homework on the employee's story and found it credible.
  • There was another thread on this topic awhile ago but I can't seem to find it. I think you must get the facts. If there was legal action, I would think employee B has some document to back up her story or something could be found on-line.

Cheryl C.
  • Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there's a risk of committing illegal retaliation against Candidate A - refusing to hire because he complained about harassment at a previous job. I've seen cases on that scenario under workers' comp and FMLA, I think. But I'm not sure if Title VII is the same.

It sounds like your motivation is your current employee's reaction rather than the fact that he made a complaint. Trouble is, it would be hard to prove the difference.

Good luck!

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Good point, James, but I think the fact that the object (employee B) of his original sexual harassment complaint is employed at that company and the desire of the company not to bring the two principals back together again would weigh pretty well in the company's defense. Having the female party in house and the male party being rejected is better than the other way around also.

Therefore i think, faced with the (A)bringing these two back together again or (B) telling candidate A "no thanks" and preserving workplace harmony; I would go with (B), knowing that I'd better do it "right". I realize that there may be more to the story than what was posted, but I'm basing my answer on the post as written.
  • Rocky - did the harassment happen at your company or at a different company? If it happened at a different company, I think the worry of retaliation is mute. It doesn't seem reasonable to me that your company should be held responsible for the actions (or non-action) from another company & that the issues between these two employees should follow them to any new company they would go to & that new company has to still treat the situation with kid gloves. If you like employee B, then I would rescind the offer to employee A & use LarryC's comments. If you don't like employee B, then let her quit & bring on employee A. Whatever you do, I would not spend time trying to understand employee A's "side of things" - it just gets too messy when you do it. Good luck!

Mandi

• I think its a mistake to base a hiring decision because an ee claims that the applicant filed a baseless sexual harassment claim against her.

Since the offer was already made, the applicant is going to find it odd that it was rescinded. If the applicant begins poking around and finds out or suspects that your decision was influenced by his sexual harassment claim, I would think that could come back to bite you.

For example, you would never ask an applicant "Have you ever filed a sexual harassment lawsuit?" in the interview. That would be clearly discriminatory.

Even false harassment claims have some protection by the EEOC. Check this link: [url]http://www.hrhero.com/q&a/101405-false.shtml?home[/url]

My advice would be to either continue on with the hire or fully investigate the alleged sexual harassment claim before rescinding the offer.

• Hi Paul

Good to see you posting so much on the site!

I think we need some more information from Rocky. If the applicant is an internal (already working for the company) candidate, then I can definitely see your point and would agree. However, if this applicant is new to the company, then I think I would pass on the applicant. If the employee that's working there now is good for the company & does a good job - why unnecessarily stir up drama and unhappiness for the employee & disrupt the workplace with bringing on this particular applicant? Now, if the employee does this with everyone, then we have a different story...
  • Rockie,

I was at a SHRM labor law conference today and one of the subjects covered was retaliation discrimination. During the intermission I questioned one of the attorneys who spoke on the subject about the scenario you described.

Her response was that rescinding the offer of hire could be construed as retaliation for filing a harassment claim. Her advice was to continue with the hire.

• We went ahead with the hire. After investigation, candidate did not file any type of sexual harassment claim against employee. He just asked me to be reassigned because she was "coming on" to him. This was done by the hospital he worked at. There was no reason at all to rescind the offer and indeed, I was concerned about any repercussions.

In an interesting aside, I found out that our current employee actually threatened another employee at the hospital where she previously worked and was required to go thru anger management classes.

A lovely person.

• Good deal, I was reading this thinking if I turned in my resignation based on receiving the offer of employment, and you rescinded it, I would have my lawyer on your ass in a heartbeat.

Then when the facts come out that you rescinded an offer for someone exercising their legally protected rights, you would get toasted.

My $0.02 worth
    the Balloonman