Prison Mentality

Rather than hijack Bragaw's thread, I thought I would start another one.

I have had the experience through the years of working with several ex-cons. My work experience is mainly in Wisconsin and Minnesota where you cannot make hiring decisions based solely on the fact that an applicant has been convicted somewhere along the line.

I have found a common theme among ex-cons and it rears its ugly head usually around disciplinary issues. I have come to predict and expect that an ex-con, when faced with discipline, will say, "Everyone's out to get me." I have run into this numerous times and I call it a "prison mentality". I have tried to explain to the employee that, while in prison, "yes, people probably were out to get you. But this is a workplace and you'll have to realize that this is not prison and somehow adjust yourself and your thinking accordingly." In reality I have spent quite a bit of time with these employees in trying to counsel them on ridding themselves of this "demon".

Has anyone else ever run into this, what I call, "prison mentality"? And how did you deal with it?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes, Larry, I have. I never thought of it until I read your post. I have noticed a disproportionate number of former convicts who think it is still about them against the "system". Now, the "system" is the employer. Also, again, limited experience, but I have noticed that the prison "honor code" still means something to these guys on the outside?!?!?!? Never figured it out past the fact that perhaps the prison experience, for most of them, was the first and only time they've experienced any sort of structure in their lives.
  • Can't say I've run into that experience yet, but probably will someday. Our facility is next door to the county jail and we have lost a few employees to them and have hired some that were released from there. People do talk about those who did their time and are now free. And anytime there is a theft, the ex-cons become the natural suspects.
  • Better start looking for a tunnel...
  • I have had a related experience from the opposite side. I hired a woman who had a degree in criminal justice and had worked in the state probation office. It took me months to get it through her head that the appropriate response was NOT immediate confrontation and verbal nailing of anyone who didn't tow the line (her line, not the company's). I even got out the dictionary and explained 2 words she had forgotten (tact and subtle). She turned out to be one of the best employees I ever had, but it was touch and go for awhile. This is only after being exposed to that kind of atmosphere for about a year, and only during working hours. Imagine how you might react if you were living with that attitude for years 24 hours a day.

Nae
  • Nae, great example of how to deal with poor behavior. You didn't wait for it to happen again or find some other excuse not to deal with it. Good job.

Larry, what you describe sounds like union mentality. Fortunately I've not had to deal with it much. If I do, I try to deal with it like Nae does.
  • I have heard it said many times that prisons are full of men who if asked will tell you that they are innocent. It would seem that these men have trouble accepting responsibility and prefer to blame the "system" or think that someone is out to get them.

We had an ex-con working here but I didn't sense that attitude from him. Prison helped him. Prison brought order to his life and he benefitted from it.

Its a fascinating observation though. You might consider contacting someone who helps prisoners adjust to life after prison and see if they have any insight.

• >
    >
    >"Larry, what you describe sounds like union
    >mentality. Fortunately I've not had to deal
    >with it much. If I do, I try to deal with it
    >like Nae does."

This is exactly what I was thinking when I read Larry's account of the Prison Mentality. It is the same type of thing we deal with here when dealing with the union personnel. They seem to think that the evil company is "out to get them". We try to keep everything on a very even keel and I train our supervisors constantly about not doing anything that will even remotely look like favoritism. I do a once a month training that I think has become effective for our supervisors to be able to speak to the ee's about policies and the union contract with confidence. This seems to slow it down for a short time, but any time without the whining is a good time. D.C.