When ee's ask for demotion

I have had two ee's ask for an obvious demotion because both want morning shifts. They are currently employed as lead teachers, but have voiced willingness to accept cut in pay, title and responsibility to have the am shift (these are both aide positions). I am concerned about future backlash. Would having them sign statements of agreement be enough should they later cry foul? As a PS, these are two of my three male ee's out of 92 total ee's. I don't know if that matters either. I just don't want harrassment charges down the road. Maybe this seems obvious to some of you, but I feel nervous.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Maria, it sounds like you are an educational institution? We are a manufacturing facility and quite a bit different setting than yours. However, faced with the same predicament, I would follow the same documented procedure that I do for other job movements or transfers. I would simply have them put their requests in writing and when you have the openings that they desire, transfer them. Sometimes the situation calls for a job posting. That way you are being fair and consistent with and offering the same opportunity to all employees which will keep you out of any legitimate bias complaints.
  • I agree with Larry. We are a unionized manufacturing facility and if an EE wants to change shifts, jobs, etc. there are several requirements...

1) There must be a posted opening for that shift/job (sometimes we have an opening but have not posted it and in that case we will post the opening).

2) They are required to complete a Job Transfer request.

3) If it is a skilled/semiskilled position they are required to have taken, and passed, any applicable tests.

4) They are required to be the most senior person for the job.

In all cases, their pay is immediately changed to reflect the change in position.

If the EEs are coming to you requesting the change and you have the openings, I don't see any problem with making the change.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-13-06 AT 07:41PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I'm also at a school. We've never had a lead teacher want to go to a TA job, but we've had other types of voluntary demotion requests. They are required to compete for a posted vacancy, even though "over qualified." In addition to making them apply for the job so it's documented that the demotion was voluntary, I would make it extra clear that when the charm wears off the low pay-better hours situation, they'll have to compete to go back the other direction too.
  • >I would make it extra
    >clear that when the charm wears off the low
    >pay-better hours situation, they'll have to
    >compete to go back the other direction too.

Good point, Whirl. Those car payments are gonna hurt.

x:-/ Am I the only one who thinks it's fishy that both these ees are "minorities" - men in an overwhelmingly female workplace? Unless their shift is at 3 a.m., I wonder if there's something else that makes their job so miserable, like a boss who's an ogre or harasses or discriminates....

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Aw come on James! You know they just want their afternoons free for golf. x:D Sure, you can play golf in the morning, but the 19th hole ain't much fun if you have to go straight to work afterwards.
  • I think you point is a good one - the men, however, work in separate centers. They are mearly seeking - the best of my knowledge - the opportunity to a) fly fish in the pm, and b) be with their school-aged child in the pm. I do think it is always something I keep an eye on, but am really sure they just want to be done with their day by 2:00 pm.
  • I don't have experience with schools, but I do with governments. Are these EEs members of a teacher's union? If so, that contract may dictate how demotions or transfers are handled. An even if they're not in the union, the union itself may have some sort of agreement with the School Board that prevents adverse employment actions within the school district that may impact the union teachers' employment.