Employment searches in NY

Our office in NY is currently needing an administrative assistant and a receptionist. I live in IL where we simply put a want ad in a local paper to seek out possible applicants. I'm guessing this isn't how it's done in NYC.

How do you conduct searches for these types of candidates in NYC?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Paige, not sure about NYC, but here in upstate NY we do it just like you do in IL, put a help wanted ad in the paper and seek out possible applicants. For clerical positions sometimes I'll go through a local agency. You may want to use someone like Manpower since you can't be directly involved in the hiring process.
  • You can advertise if you wish. Some of the temp services are really good. If you like the quality of the worker then an offer of full time employment can be made. If it does not work out, with a temp, send them back. You may need to make some sort of payment to the temp agency depending on how long you use the employee in question and wish to make them your employee. The agency will explain all this up front.
  • You can put an ad in the local papers (NY Times, Daily News)(if your office is in one the outer boroughs-there are community papers and rates are much more reasonable). However, I agree with the suggestion to use an employment agency. You can either go with an temp agency with the right to hire or an agency with full-time ees (in either case, you will have to pay a fee-usually a percentage of the salary).