Municipal Gov't Mgr Creates Hostile Work Environment

We have a situation here with a dept. head being appointed interim city manager. The interim cm has approached a staff member and informed her that the council does not know what her job entails and that her job position could be in jeopardy of being eliminated. The employee is very upset. The interim has also informed this ee that another employee is in a position to have his job eliminated if he cannot justify his position. This has been brought to my attention this morning by two ee's other than the ee who had the conversation with the interim cm. What steps can I take to help the ee and interim cm? I look forward to your advice. I have admired the content of this forum for afar.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • ALthough it may feel hostile, this does not rise to a legal definition unless they are claiming this is happening because they are in a protected class. Even then it would be discrimination, not hostile work environment. Jobs get eliminated all the time.

It doesn't sound as if it was handled real well. But IMHO, if they could actually justify their position they shouldn't be concerned about it.
  • I would talk to the interim cm and find out why they told the ee their job might be eliminated. Maybe, the cm wanted to give the ees a heads up that their jobs may be eliminated and a clue how they could possibly save them. Maybe, the interim cm wants to get rid of the ees and is trying to be compassionate. You won't know until you speak to the cm.
  • Yes, go to the source and find out what is going on first. You are hearing this information 3rd or 4th hand and its possible if not likely that there may be more to the story.

As for justifying a job, start with the job description and go from there. What duties is the ee responsible for and why are they essential? We should all be able to justify our existence.
  • Things like this happen frequently in the municipal world. Typically, they do not happen in a vacuum. Often at budget time, council is looking for a certain amount of money to cut. Since most of municipal budgets are wages, they may look at a number of positions. Once a position is being discussed, it is up on the chopping block. At that point, managers will typically mount a defense to council that the employee has all sorts of vital duties and they cannot do without them. This may save the position. Sometimes, if the employee is a problem child, managers will tell council that they can still function without that employee. Then the council will cut and the manager need not confront or discipline the problem employee. The cut is all done for budget purposes even though the manager would have fought hard for a good employee in the same position. I suspect that one of these two possibilities is being played out here.