Clerical Assistant Salary Range

What salary range would you use when hiring a clerical assistant with 1-2 years experience or 3-5 years experience? They are expected to type, file (lots) and do some data entry (boring work). We have an ongoing debate here! Thanks!

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Wow! And I thought we were low! I'd be interested to see others if you would be able help.
  • Her experience is only 1-2 years so I was basing it on that plus the simple, routine tasks you described.

We have no entry level clerks in our office at this time. All are "veterans of the trade" so to speak and have 10-20 years experience. We average around $32,000 per year for someone with that much experience in clerical/office assistance.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheryl C.
  • Our salary range for a position similar to what you described is $17,500 to $26,000. So many "what if's" to consider. We would consider this an entry level position.
    Good luck...
  • NJIEL,

You're not going to get anything meaningful out of surveying this forum. Look at where the posters whom have opined are from! If I'm not mistaken, you're in Chery Hill, right? HUGE difference!
  • TN HR that all depends on where the responders are from. if some respond that are in this area then it will be of assistance. One can only hope!
  • You're right. I'm not suggesting that you can't. All I am saying is that you won't. There used to be others from your neck of the woods, but they left when we had the mass exodus after Don's departure. Most of them are still members here but they don't come over much. Very few of us are still bi.
  • Go into salary.com and look at descriptions then salaries for your area.
  • $8.00 TO $9.00 PER HOUR!

PORK
  • PORK that would be your range for 3-5 years experience also? If so I'm glad I'm not in MS! :-)
  • NJJEL: Yea, but this is not New Jersey, which was TN HR's point the location is not equal. To start as a an employee $7.00 is our base rate with .50 available after the 60 day introductory phase. After that it is based on performance but the average of all raises this year and previous years has been 3%. Thus, three years would get one inside of the average sectary/receptionist wage range. That is better than the local Hamburger and fast foods jobs at minimum wage and a part time relationship, where ours are full time regular employees.

PORK
  • Yes I understood TN's point, and I still am glad I'm not in MS! :-)
  • Mine won't help we would start the 1-2 years with 8:00 and the 2-3 year with 10.00.

I would however, suggest that you check your state DOL site. Here in Idaho we have an Idaho Employment and Wage survey on our website which is broken down into different counties and categories.

If you go on the U.S. DOL website they have the U.S. Employment and wage surveys and they also on that site have links back to the states.

I don't know if I am allowed to put links here as I have not posted much on this site and it appears at times to be a less than friendly site.

If you have questions my email is
    [email]smcallister@aimintl.com[/email]

Shirley
  • Hi Shirley,

I'm sorry you have the impression that Employers Forum seems less than friendly sometimes. Posting helpful links (like the government links you mention) is encouraged.

The links we nix are from those who are posting links for the purpose of [i]advertising[/i] or [i]promoting[/i] products other than HR Hero products. Since we support this discussion board, we don't want our competitors selling through it! $$$ And Employers Forum is not meant to be a vehicle for solicitors to reach HR people en masse.

Obviously, the links you considered posting are not for the purpose of advertising or promoting a product, so please feel free to share.

For additional information on what's appropriate on Employers Forum, here's a link to the Employers Forum FAQ - What's appropriate for the Forum:
    [url]http://www.hrhero.com/employersforum/help4.shtml[/url]

Specifically, under Miscellaneous Issues, look for the section titled, "Can I advertise or promote my business on the Forum?"

Christy Reeder
    Website Editor
    HRhero.com
  • Thank you Cristy. I have been in Payroll for 0ver 20 years. Three years ago I went back to college and I earned my Human Resources and was promoted and am now over both Payroll and Human Resources for our company. I am used to the Payroll Forums where we give out a lot of website information to help others.

I know a lot about payroll, so while everyone on here is helping me with HR if there are payroll and tax questions I can answer them.

To help with the Salary Range in this instance here is the link to the DOL occupational handbook. On this Department of Labor site you will also find links to states which many also have their state occupational handbooks to help in determining in setting wage amounts.

[url]http://www.bls.gov/oco/home.htm[/url]

If I can help further in this please let me know.

Shirley