How soon can EE transfer to new position?

Every now and then we have someone newly hired (say, within three months) who wants to apply for a posted position (or is recruited for a posted position). As you can imagine this is not looked on favorably by the current supervisor. I have met resistance to the logical solution, setting a time limit within which a person cannot be selected for a new position, and in truth I could argue it either way. We've made accommodations on a case by case basis by negotiating a delayed start date so the supervisor losing the EE can replace and train the replacement hire. But it leads me to wonder if any of you have a better solution, like a formal policy that sets a limit on how long an employee must wait after hire before they will be considered for another position in the company?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We do not have a minimum time which a person must keep the job they were hired for before they can competitively apply for a different position. It's our belief that if they are the best person for the job and beat out the internal and external competition, then it's in the best interest of our organization to give it to them. When I worked elsewhere, there was a six-month rule -- no job changes for the first six months of employment.
  • We only require satisfactory completion of our 90 day eval period and 2/b in good-standing at time of request. While 3 mos is not a long waiting time we've chosen to use this period in hopes that the ee will transfer vs terminate.
  • I concurr; we would not want to decrease the company's ability to have the most qualified person in any position. Having it open allows the most flexibility for the company. The losing supervisor/management are not thinking about the benefit to the company to have this person who was hired for his/her department, to be selected for another department. Recruiting for a new person should be easier for the list of interviewees should be ample to get a new person hired reasonably soon.

PORK
  • We "ask" that employees stay in their current position for six months before asking to be considered for another position.
  • We have a six month waiting period and pretty much stick to it.
  • In Ohio, state statute (and our policy) requires that you be off of probation prior to receiving a promotion. A promotion is also defined in the Administratuive code. Outside of promotion, I tend to agree with previous posters regarding the best person for the job.
  • We require 12 months in their current position, at least a meets requirements on their most recent evaluation, and no counseling forms in their personnel file within the past 12 months. We did have a 6 month wait. However most of our entry level positions fall into one area and of course we get the majority of request for transfers for these ranks.
    Of course we have the disclaimer that due to operational necessity or superior qualifications our C.O.O. can approve the transfer of an ee in their current position for less than 12 months. The ee must interview with our COO before he can approve their exception to be eligible for transfer.