Hostile Work Environment?

An employee has been 'turning his coworkers in' to our city council who has directed our police department to conduct investigations into 4 separate alleged incidents of theft. The employees were approached at their work site by detectives and questioned out in the open. Voluntary searches of employees private property have occurred, and internet records subpoenaed. The detectives would not provide the name of the person making the accusations, although the employees are confident they know who it is. The allegations have not been substantiated, and are potentially unfounded; possibly even malicious, although I don't know how that could be proven. This has obviously placed great strain on the working relationship, and two of the alleged 'thieves' have approached me about this, and (verbally) claim that this coworker is creating a hostile work environment for them with his unfounded accusations. It seems that the employee doing the reporting is the one who is protected by whistleblowing laws. Do these employees have a potential hostile work environment claim if the alleged harassment isn't related to a protected class factor? What about constructive discharge? As the employer, what action would be recommended?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hogwash, hogwash, hogwash. I'll give you the 30-minute HR Manager's solution to this debacle:

Bring the kiddies in to a room, without accussing anyone, reiterate the need for all to work in harmony. Tell them that recently you have observed a lack of such harmony and that it concerns you. Anyone caught contributing towards this unharmonious aura will be dealt with.

Nothing in the scenario you described is remotely actionable.

Gene
  • Is this employee who is allegedly making these accusations to the city council doing so on his own time for his own personal reasons? If so, I am not sure this is an issue you should get in the middle of.

First off, you don't know for sure who is making the complaints. Second, if he is making false accusations and leading police on wild goose chases, that sounds like a matter the police would want to address.

I don't think bringing them all in a room and telling them to play nice will help either. It would if they were reasonable, but the actions you have described don't sound like those of a reasonable person. I think you would only be stirring up trouble for your company.

My opinion anyways.

• Would agree - the last thing you want to do is look like you're retaliating against a perceived whistleblower.

I would recommend talking to the Police Department about this explaining the environment this is creating after consulting with your employment attorney (this is one we would definitely be talking to our attorney about to ensure protection of company records).

Would also ask the Police what their recommendation is since their search has seemingly not supported the accusations. What is their next step? What will they do in case another accusation is made? Do the individuals being accused have the right to know what they're accused of and who their accuser is - defamation sounds like a distinct possibility especially if the search and questioning was done in a public place.

Good luck!
  • What is your relationship with the council or the Chief of Police. If the work atmosphere is getting poisonous, I would ask them who is making allegations. If they do not want to give the name, I would remind them that false allegations are actionable. A suit from one of the affected employees would bring discovery and the name of the informant could not then be withheld. Since I am not sure of the polical situation where you are, it is hard to discern the motives of the various players. Are your employees the actual target or is it your organization? I have seen grudges in politics where I am and some pretty nasty tactics. If these things succeed, they are likely to continue. The only way to deal with a person who likes to make nasty anonymous accusations is to show them that their name will be brought out into the open and they will have to deal with the accusations they have made. If you let some people stand behind the wall of anonymity and throw dirt, they will just never stop.
  • An interesting post, Sandykaz. Any update?