Employment Authorization Card

An employee provided an Employment Authorization Card when he was first hired to complete the I9 document. It expires on 2/7/20006. I know I have to have new documentation but do I have any other obligations? I've tried searching the Immigration website but didn't have any luck. The employee has not mentioned the upcoming deadline at all.

This is the first non-US citizen the City has employed so I have no experience with any documents other than drivers license, SS card, birth certificate and military ID. I9 life has been easy until now.

Thank you for any help.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Believe me he knows that the work permit must be renewed. You need to meet with him with witness present and an interpreter to make sure he understands.

The quota for new immigrants for the 1st half of this year is gone. So he may not be able to renew the right to work in our country.
    Pull out his filed I-9, look at section 3 bottom part of the form and this is where you will apply the renewal information. He must visit the supporting USCIS to up-date his document and provide the re-newed documents. If he has to return to his home country to acquire a renewal then based on our policy, we would have to be terminate from employment until he returned with new documents. Then, we would re-hire and re-validate the data contained there in. We have one that is in Mexico and we have been informed by others that he will not be back.

Good luck with this action.

PORK
  • Once again, Pork, you have shown your complete ignorance of our immigration laws. First of all, the quotas you are talking about only apply to work visas. This employee, if he is in fact legitimate, is in all likelihood awaiting permanent residency and the employment authorization will be extended for 90 days at a time until his residency is finalized.

Second, in the hundreds of cases that I have personally been involved with, not a single one has found it necessary to return to their country of origin. As a matter of fact, that only delays residency proceedings.

Visas (H, L, O, P, and Q series) are a completely different animal.

Gene