Terminated after giving 2 week notice

I had it in my head that a company could not terminate you immediately following you giving a 2 week notice. I don't know where I got this idea, but my brother in law was recently terminated from a gym where he is a personal trainer after giving his 2 week notice. He gave it at night (to the asst, manager) before leaving work and the next morning his manager had rescheduled all of his clients to other trainers and looked 'surprised' to see him there since he had quit. He explained that he hadn't quit, he had given a 2 week notice. The manager basically said 'oh well'. He contacted HR and she was disturbed by this. It got as high as the regional manager and basically stopped there. They won't let him work the 2 weeks, nor will they pay him for the wage he would have made had he stayed there. The HR person initially told him during their first conversation that he would be able to go back to work since it was a misunderstanding between the asst. manager and the manager. That has now changed as well and they're basically telling him that he's out of luck.
This is in Washington state where you can fire anyone at any time and for any reason, but at my company we pay people for their last 2 weeks if we feel they are in a sensitive position and should leave immediately. Is there any leg he has to stand on to get his pay?

Comments