Re-assigning Tasks

We have a cook and an assistant cook in the same center we would like to have change positions. The cook is just not getting a very key part of her position involving record keeping (this despite much training). She is very good at other parts of her job. The assistant shows a stong aptitude for the record keeping piece, which is part of the cook - but not assistant - job description. What would be the best way to reassign duties without getting into adverse employment stuff?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • BIRDGIRL: Given that you have given the primary cook a letter of instruction which lays out clearily your expectations, then I would simply demote the cook and promote the assistant cook or leave them as they are but take the job descriptions words on record keeping and transfer them to the Assistant. With the acceptance of the Assistant for these additional with increase then I would raise the compensation package of the Assistant to reflect the value of the recording keeping now accomplished by the Assistant Cook.

I would not worry about any adverse personnel actions for this is based on well documented failed performace events.

PORK
  • Well, that can be a sticky one. I think I'd first sit down with the current cook and talk about the record keeping problem. If it's evident from the discussion that the current cook really doesn't like the record-keeping part of it (or perhaps rattles her), then I'd suggest that you offer her the assistant cook position being sure to praise her for the skills she has in that area. She may feel relieved. On the other hand, if she feels she's doing OK at record keeping, then you need to point out what the problems are and ask her to create an action plan for improvement (which includes a timeline and follow-up with her). If she gets up to snuff, all the better. If she doesn't, then I'd say you have to tell her a job change is in order and offer her the assistant cook position. Be prepared for the fact that she may resign, but you have to do what's best for the company.