Written tracking of hours

I recently read in one of the forums that tracking of hours worked should be in the form of actual hours worked, (8:00-12:00, 1:00-5:00) instead of listing 8 hours per day or 40 hours per week. We have our hourly employees list, in general terms, what they worked on that day and how many hours they worked that day and week. This record is then filed weekly with payroll (we have three office staff employees - one salaried, two hourly) Is this incorrect? By law how should we be tracking and recording employee's hours worked?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-05-06 AT 10:15AM (CST)[/font][br][br]The problem with your system as I see it. . .if these ee are hourly and they are only listing "general terms" of hours, how do you determine over time? Your are required to pay overtime for hours worked over 40 if they are non exempt. You may want to familarize your self with the Fair Labor Standards Act.

EDIT There is a lot information in the Wage and Hour section of this forum, as well.
  • This is what my FLSA book says. Employers need no calculate the time an employee works precisely to the minute. For instance, the punch card of an employee who is supposed to work 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM may show random variations in punch times such as 7:58, 5:02 etc. Employers need not take these minor variations into account but may instead establish a practice of recording an employee's starting and stopping time to the nearest 5 minutes or one-tenth hour. In another section it talks about the various methods of tracking time - the punch card example is just an example. I agree with Sonny - 8 hours or 40 hours is not sufficient to satisfy record keeping requirements.