HRIS

I am working on creating an HRIS in Access. I have little experience in Access and am teaching myself with the help of some manuals. I know it has potential and can be done - I'm just having trouble with a couple calculations.
Anyone done this before? The company is not interested in investing in a canned IS or an outside consultant as I am fully capable of figuring this thing out - it will just take time.
Any advice on Access appreciated (but not on talking my boss into forking out the $$ on a commercial HRIS). Thanks!

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-30-05 AT 01:32PM (CST)[/font][br][br]What, precisely, do you want to accomplish with the HRIS? Is it something simple like vacation calc's or more involved? Reason I ask is that your boss may be spending more (in terms of labor costs) by having you bulldog through the learning process when an off-the-shelf package might do what you want it to (for example, I use an attendance/vacation tracking/PTO system from KnowledgePoint that does what we need it to do and only cost $200).

Also, do you do your own payroll or do you outsource it? Depending on your vendor, they may be able to customize reports for you. Ours will do them on an as-needed basis for me, simply by picking up the phone.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-05-06 AT 03:47PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Hi Catbert!

I use Access ad nauseum because I can pull any report or query I want in a snap. Plus I use ADP PCPW for payroll, so there is some duplication of data entry, but ReportSmith does not have the flexibility I have in Access.

Please email me and let me know what you'd like to track and I might already have it. x:-)