Handbooks

I thank all of you for helping with my travel question. The reason I asked it is because I am wading through a 2001 employee handbook that was written before I was HR and is 38 pages long.

This has been the largest challenge of my HR career which is in it's 3rd year.

This is my first handbook to try and rewrite and I am finding that because it is so old I have to revise many of the policies because they are outdated.

The order is the hardest part. Which policies and procedures go together.

Just from listening to this forum I have gathered some very valuable information. Thanks to all of you.

Shirley McAllister
AIM HR
[email]smcallister@aimintl.com[/email]

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • For a general layout of a handbook you may want to check out the subscribers area on the home page I believe there are some helpful items to assist you with this project. You will have to convert to your state specific laws and regs.

Hope it helps.

Lisa
  • While it would be great to have "like items" such as all your leave policies, your attendance expectations, disciplinary policy etc., grouped together in a handbook, I have never seen any guidance on what goes first, second.....

I would think that the type of business you have would probably dictate what would be lumped together.
  • Ours is divided up into four sections, grouped by subject. First are general policies (employment at will, harassment, employee defintions, all the general stuff). Second are all policies relating to compensation. Third are all policies relating to leave and benefits. Last are all policies relating to company rules, etc.
  • WILDSPORTY: I will send you mind, it has 22 years of use and a few changes in 5 different companies with 5 different legal reviews by each of the 5 retained attorneys with each company. It has worked well for us and you are welcome to it. I have tried to send with an attachment off of HRhero net work, but for some reason my firewall will not let it out. So I am going off line and zip it to you.

PORK