Hostile Work Environment - TX

BACKGROUND
I began work in Human Resources at a non-profit organization about 6 months ago. I report directly to the CEO. Since my hire I have not only listened to complaints about the hostile work environment, but a workplace that is riddled with intimidation and retaliation. I have also been the target of such actions.

I recently revised our Employee Handbook to include topics on SOX Act, Harassment/Intimidation/Retaliation-Free workplace. The Executive Team, President/CEO and Board of Directors have all approved the revisions in whole. I am surprised why no one questioned as to why I felt these additions were needed.

The problem is that the complaints are all about the CEO. He is beligerant, demeaning and rude. And that is only what I see in his actions toward his Vice-Presidents. The VPs have extensive tenure and have been a part of this organization for more than 20 years. And now in comes a relatively new CEO with his own agenda. They are contemplating early retirement. Each is afraid to voice their concerns for fear of an even more hostile work environment.

I want to address my concerns to a/the Board Member(s). I am concerned because the CEO has closed door sessions with the Board and has fed them half-truths and stories of incompetencies about different employees.

I have stood my ground on legal issues, discriminatory issues and the like. Because of that I butt heads with the CEO. Because I am not one to roll over and robotically agree with everything he does, he is now on a track to push me out. I am seeking alternative employment but cannot just up and quit due to financial constraints.

QUESTION/CONCERN
I feel an obligation to my fellow coworkers (and myself) to address the issues with the Board. I do not want my issues with the CEO to cloud the investigation and therefore I am contemplating delivering a letter requesting an outside, neutral investigation into the workplace issues.

How do I address the Board Member(s) when the CEO has them in his backpocket? If anyone has a conversation with a Board Member and the CEO discovers it, he questions the interaction. The Board Members are oblivious to the issues in the workplace and think he is a great leader.

PLEASE HELP. I am at a standstill and need advice. I will be in contact with an attorney during my lunch, but I would like to hear feedback from others as well. THANK YOU!

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think you are right to be looking around. It sounds like it would come down to a you vs. him and a lack of loyalty. The board would support him.
    I was in a similar organization years ago. There was great carnage. The VP turnover was almost 500% in 5 years. The board supported the CEO because the co. was making money. It only changed when the co. was bought out and the CEO was then fired. Move on.
  • It is not illegal to be rude, beligerant or demeaning, so you have a choice: put up with it or leave. It's also your choice to butt heads with the CEO, so you can chose to not do that as well. You can go to your BOD, but that probably won't save your job.
  • One person's intimidation is another person's desire to make employees responsible to perform. I had one employee who thought it was sexual harassment if they were required to work and follow regular work rules. Intimidation to them was anyone getting after them for work issues and retaliation was being spoken to for not following direction. My point is that there are many management styles some much more authoritarian than others. If a CEO is very goal oriented and not particularly people oriented, he may very well tend to come off brusque and threatening. However, due to success in achieving goals, the Board may love him. If you value people i.e. more people oriented unlike the CEO, such methods may seem dreadful to you due to the carnage the CEO leaves in his wake in his single minded persuit of goals. To keep the long term health of an organization, both goals and people issues need to be addressed. If you and your CEO cannot come to terms on the balance between goals and people, you have no future in this organization. I do not know your stature and status with your Board, but it generally takes a good many years in the job to face off a CEO and get any support at Board level. I doubt you have the juice to do this at six months of employment. Further, even if you do face the CEO on people issues and make him blink, you will pay. I know because I have paid. I woul
  • SHANSAN: Your visit with your attorney should and most likely opened your eyes to the reality of the situation. I bet you were disappointed in what he had to say. Unless you have specific situation, dates, time, supporting documents, and others willing to step up now instead of later like the VPs and state or support your beliefs of the environment being hostile, you are in a no win situation. Have you or others received negative personnel actions resulting directly from a complaint? From what I read in your post it would appear to me to certainly be a place in which my personality could not live, so I would definately have my resume out there and I would also quit butting heads with the CEO over anything which is not life threatening or illegal. If either of these were the case, I would be hanging up my HR shield at my home and consulting from there.

The CEO is insecure, thus his need to be a total controller. If you look hard enough you will find that somewhere there must be some "cooking of the books". To protect some reality of the false facts, he must control ever aspect of the activity. Intimadation, demeaning activity, and down right mean characteristics can be found hovering around this poor representation of a leader.

Get out as soon as you can, don't wait for the victory for there most likely want be one, unless he dies in office.

PORK
  • Find your other job as soon as you can. The overwhelming chances are that the Board won't give a rip and will support the CEO when he fires you.
  • The others have given you sound advice. Your HR career has just begun there & I'm doubtful you'll want to use this as "the opportunity to drive the spear in the ground". Go quickly and quietly. Remember that it's a small world out there (both ways). Permitting yourself to be discharged from this new position will not serve you well. Avoid the temptation to dig-in and go on your terms. Good luck.