Employee Retirement

We have a long-term EE who, we believe, is planning on retiring in the very near future the problem is that he will NOT give us a specific date for his retirement. The problem goes back a couple of years when we had a RIF and laid off his direct supervisor. The EE feels that we should have given the supervisor some type of notice (he feels it should have been at least two weeks) and since we didn't, he feels that he doesn't owe this company any type of notice either.

The problem with this is that he has alot of knowledge in his job (he's been in his job 20+ years) and we want to get someone to begin training with him. Once we move someone into that position, we have to back fill the opening and these positions have a higher hourly rate and any addition to the P/R at this point makes things pretty tight and adds a position that may or may not be needed.

Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this situation? There is no incentive for him to give a notice as, according to statements he has made, he plans on using his remaining vacation and some day will just "not show up".

Thanks

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Oh, wow, that would be frustrating!!! My situation was not nearly so bad - had a very key employee that planned to retire but would say "next May" (in a year), then in May it was "towards the end of the year" (December), then we finally had his party in mid-April. It truly is sad that after so many years with your company, he has this attitude - and I don't mean that as a reflection on you or your company, I've never had to RIF but I know there really is no easy way.

That said, the only solution I can see is to pick a date for him. If you tell him, he'll probably start using his vacation X days/weeks (you have the number in your system and he knows what that number is) before so bring in a replacement however much time you need before that. I can't imagine that would go over very well with him, though.

Another solution could be to have current employees train on existing pieces of his job. You could try to split it up so that it wasn't too overwhelming on any one person, if it is possible. Most likely everyone is already overworked, but in our plant we have really made a push for cross-training so that the work doesn't stop if one person is gone. Of course, making a push doesn't equal immediate success in our case, but we are making headway.

Good luck with this, and I would appreciate hearing an update once you figure out what to do or once it goes into action. Feel free to e-mail me directly if you don't want to post it.
  • I also imagine that you engage in some time of retirement benefit counseling...even if it's just when you'll get your retirement $$$$....he can't retire if he doesn't attend the counseling....

Do your ee's need to obtain approval for vacation useage???? That may be another angle that you can work....
  • Yes I do go through retirement information with the individual prior to their leaving but whether or not they attend the meeting has no impact in whether or not they will get their money (401(k) and pension plan).

As for the vacation, yes it has to be approved and some of it has been but like I said, his intent (at least as far as I'm told) is to just not return after vacation.

• LINDAS: Is he the only one that can do the training? What if you wake up tomorrow and he is gone! What will the company do then? I bet the job will be done maybe not as good or smooth as it would have been done but it will get done. This being the case the company needs to get pro-active and move someone in for the guy to train and after a few weeks move the retiree into a consulting role with the CEO at x rate of pay for the next 90 days.

He has long sense lost his loyality with the company, therefore, the company does not owe him any loyality back in return.

PORK
  • Give me a break folks! Do you sincerely believe the guy is going to train his replacement? He is bitter and wants the company to feel the sting of his departure, so he will continue to do what he's done fo rthe last 20 years and that is compartmentalize information, build empires and then walk hoping your world crashes and he exacts his sweet revenge.

Bite the bullet, as you should, for having done a piss poor job of enabling continuity and succession. There's no way getting around it, you're going to feel some pain from this.

Gene
  • Gene makes a fair point (good grief, Gene, when do you sleep???) - this guy really doesn't want to help you. From that angle, I would consider documenting some things regarding lack of teamwork and insubordination (which seems to be a stretch but if his supervisor asks him for a retirement date and he refuses, or if he is asked to train someone and refuses or does a "PPJ" of training them (see Gene's post for spelling out), I'd call that insubordination). You may be able to choose his involuntary retirement date without discriminating based on performance.
  • GENE: It does not matter what we believe he will or want do; it is the issue of giving him a reasonable duty/mission to perform and evaluate his performance from that point on. Otherwise, yes the company will be bitten by the "aged dawg" with no teeth, but non-the-less hurt by the bite.

We all agree give the task to the old timer and hold his feet to the fire with progression reports weekly and direct feed back from his student.

PORK
  • If he is about to retire and you force the issue, are you not engaging in age discrimination?
    I suggest you have his supervisor speak with him about when he plans to retire and ask if he is willing to train his replacement. If he is open, you have no isuue. If he is not, then management needs to make the decision that is best for the company not for the soon to be retired EE.
  • I had this exact same thing happen. Our maintenance person who has been moaning and complaining for years about his workload, his bad back and wanting to retire. I had an opportunity to interview a replacement for him who was a perfect match for the job and I essentially told the person as soon as I had a firm date in mind, I'd call him.

The employee vaciliated between October and December about retiring. He would go around and tell other people that he would be "gone" by the end of the year.

Finally, I had to firmly ask the individual (twice) about a date for retirement. I also advised him that I had someone who was interested in the position and I needed to know an answer.

I knew what would happen. He'd wait until the last minute and then give his notice and I'd have to scramble around and try to find someone to replace him.

I also offered to let him work on an "as needed" basis to supplement his retirement and help get the new person oriented.

It wasn't pleasant and I am sure he felt "forced out", but we could not afford to let this candidate get away from us because someone could not make up his mind on a date.

• Kind of summarizing what has been said, I think that you have the right to discuss retirement dates with him since he has raised the issue. The problem will be the line that is crossed when you start deciding for him. That is the point where he could make a case for age discrimination.
  • Is there anyone else in the company that you could look to cross-train in his position?

We've had a situation where someone discussed retiring 6 years ago and is still here....

Sometimes outside factors have an impact on whether they are or aren't able to retire such as stock market taking a dip, new car to payoff, unexpected surgery, etc.

When he's on vacation, who fills in for him? Would this individual be a candidate for his position should he retire?
  • I couldn't tell if you wanted the person to leave or not. However, I wouldn't force the issue. Sounds as if he is bitter enough and a fairly good employee. However, I don't see any reason why you couldn't start some "cross training" in his department. Do not only his job, but everyone in the department. Explain to everyone, that the company wants to make sure we are prepared for vacations, leaves of absence, terminaitons, etc. as well as giving employees a chance to broaden their knowledge to improve them individually, as well as more valuable to the Company. Have everyone in the department train someone on what they do, and they get trained on what someone else dones. Have him train others on what he does and then train him as well on what some of the other people do. I bet he will up and leave when he has to train on other jobs. Could force the issue if that is what you want to do. This may cost in a little more time and effort for employees, but should be good for everyone.
    E Wart