"Jack Pot" at Christmas Party

We are wrapping up the plans for our company Christmas Party for this year. We have a buffet meal, DJ and open bar. We've had a suggestion to include a Jack Pot consisting of employees voluntarily contributing $5 (no company money) and have a drawing later in the evening for the entire pot. What potential problems do you foresee with the money pot? We do have a policy against "gambling, lottery of engaging in any other game of chance at company work station at any time WHILE ON DUTY." I don't feel comfortable with the pot but then I have concerns about the open bar also.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • First of all, I wonder whether a jackpot like that is legal in S.C. I doubt it would be here in Tenn. And it seems a bit hypocritical to gamble at a Christmas party while banning it at work. But at least you don't have to worry about people dying because of it, like you do with an open bar.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com

(:| Is Jack Pot a drugged-out version of Saint Nick?

• Years ago some companies had Christmas parties at hotels and reserved rooms so employees would not have to drive while under the influence. This practice has faded mainly because of other things employees did in the hotel while under the influence. Little drawings or tickets of some kind are often seen at employee parties. Bite the bullet and buy a few prizes and have your drawing. Rather than taking employee money, you might better buy a number of less expensive prizes as employees respond well to that. As far as an open bar, you must be out of your mind. Some folks just cannot resist the lure of free booze and they over do it. At best, somebody loses their inhibitions due to alcohol and tries to turn their private office fantasy into reality with a co-worker. If the co-worker is willing, you have one set of problems. If they are not willing, you have another set of issues. No matter what, there will be wreckage to clean up when everybody gets sober later. There are reasons why the annual office Christmas party has gone down into legend. At worst, somebody gets killed while driving drunk on the way home.
  • Thanks for your input. I've fought the battle and lost on the open bar. This has been a thirty year tradition. Board members and delegation are present at the Christmas party. We do have rooms available and drivers. Employees get the lectures before the party and department managers watch them. It is instilled in employees that this is not a "let your hair down, anything goes" party. So far we've been fortunate and have not had any problems. It still scares me expecially in light of a recent ruling in SC.
  • I have been to a good many of these functions over the years in the places I have worked. I am not a social drinker so have sober memories of all that took place. The only good explanation I can give as to why certain of the men and ladies could still work together and look each other in the eye after the party is that both of them had imbibed sufficient alcohol as to significantly impair their memory. The tradition used to be similar here when I took over the Human Resources. When I insisted that we change, our General Manager reluctantly agreed as long as I made the change myself. I put out the memo as he did not want his name attached to it. This was a good many years ago. To this day, I am known as the person who "ruined" their holiday party. If the tradition is so firmly entrenched that you cannot change it, then damage control such as you are doing (rooms, drivers, lectures, etc.) is probably the best you can do. Good luck.
  • Here are guidelines which we announce every year prior to our holiday party. Also, at no charge to the employee, we have a shuttle service running throughout the evening to take employees home.

GENERAL GUIDELINES FOR ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION
    AT COMPANY FUNCTIONS
    1. Make clear in pre-function communications that minors cannot drink and that if minors do drink this will be cause for their termination. Ask those who dispense the alcohol to keep an eye out for those who look too young to drink and to card individuals if they have any doubt.
    2. Make clear in pre-function communications that employees must limit their consumptions to amounts which do not render them under the influence and that you don’t expect anyone to drive who is under the influence.
    3. Have someone serve the alcohol as opposed to permitting employees to serve themselves. This not only gives the servers (the number of which should be limited) the opportunity to flag employees who drink too much, but it also may deter some employees from ordering too many drinks in the first instance.
    4. Consider establishing a maximum number of drinks which an individual can have. Tickets won’t work because individuals can give away their tickets. Consider a fluorescent stamp on an employee’s hand in exchange for a drink, limiting the number of stamps an employee can receive.
    5. Have available cab vouchers which employees can obtain without going to a manager. While a few employees may abuse the privilege, it’s a small risk to take compared to the bigger risk it may help to avoid.
    6. Assign certain managers the responsibility to keep their eyes and ears open for individual who are visibly intoxicated. Any such individual should be asked for his or her keys. If they refuse, consider calling the police.
    7. Serve plenty of non-alcoholic beverages and lots of food.

• I'm hijacking the thread a little, but have you considered changing the name of your party to something other than Christmas Party out of respect for those who do not celebrate Christmas?
  • Good thought Cheryl S. Our VP of Operations is a JW and of course won't abide by any 'holiday' party. We do have company luncheons/barbecues every 6-8 weekends, however and hold a year-end luncheon. We don't center any of the events around a prominent holiday in order to keep them simple social events without feeling like we have to decorate or have a holiday theme.

Employees seem fine with them. No alcohol is ever served as they are held during work hours.

Cheryl C.
  • Sue2:

The "jackpot" is in my opinion a REALLY BAD idea-- not only a clear violation of your policy, and sponsored by the company, no less, but it may also violate laws in your state, as some others have pointed out.

We admittedly go totally overboard on our "holiday party": the association purcheses 20 or more door prizes that are given away by drawing tickets.... and they're nice ones... avg value is probably around $100. We usually spend $2,000 or more on these door prizes, but we seem to get pretty good "bang for our buck" in terms of staff satisfaction: our people love it!

We do NOT serve alcohol at our holiday party. If staff members want alcohol, they can go to a bar elsewhere, on their own, after the party.

good luck!
  • >We are wrapping up the plans for our company
    >Christmas Party for this year. We have a buffet
    >meal, DJ and open bar. We've had a suggestion
    >to include a Jack Pot consisting of employees
    >voluntarily contributing $5 (no company money)
    >and have a drawing later in the evening for the
    >entire pot. What potential problems do you
    >foresee with the money pot? We do have a policy
    >against "gambling, lottery of engaging in any
    >other game of chance at company work station at
    >any time WHILE ON DUTY." I don't feel
    >comfortable with the pot but then I have
    >concerns about the open bar also.

Hi Sue!

I'd just do door prizes. I am sure, South Carolina, in its infinite wisdom and having no other issues or problems, would consider this a lottery and you might get some flack from the attorney generals office. When I worked for a bank, this happened to us when we raffled off a lawnmower in connection with a marketing program.

Anyway...this is the first year we will offer a cash bar instead of an open bar at our holiday party. I am sure our attendance will be down because of this. Doesn't matter how many memos or "threats" you put out...the bottom line is....you as the employer are responsible if you choose to serve alcohol. It's an unfair burden to have managers or supervisors "watch" people for inappropriate behavior. I am sure they would not have much fun at the party if they had to do this.

• We will have a large HAm for every employee to pick-up when the party is over. This is their reward for coming. We also give out door tickets and draw from the box numbers by chance for someone to pick up a donated door prize or company money awards. We usally have 20 to 30 Christmas Door Prizes wtih large screen TVs being the final prize of the night.

Open Bar is a "kiss of death" for our company should someone get hurt or worse killed in an automobile accident. We also have a no tolerance policy for gambling; it is against State Law except where designated by our State Goverment.

I do not recommend you do either!

PORK
  • Sue2-
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I too think an open bar is the kiss of death.
    First, I hope you have contacted your insurance broker to run this by them. (Is the place where the party is given rented in the Company name??)
    I understand the head person wanting to have a bar, this is the way it used to be done. However, if absolutely necessary, I would also try to limit the "free" alcohol provided by the company. I love the stamp idea. But if you can't do this, at least do the tickets and by all means DO NOT have your employees dispensing the alcohol. (I have been at a company party where a fight broke out.)
    Just be ready for anything. Also, have someone at the door "patroling' the employees as they leave to make sure they aren't driving if they shouldn't be. (Also, will have to pay for their parking for the night and someone to bring them back the next day to pick up their car, if it is left at the party.) I would encourage employees to car pool or designate a driver and do something special for them.

E Wart
  • My last company used to have a drink all you want mentality at these parties, it was a construction company.........wow.
    I helped enlighten the owners, and steer them away from the good old boys way to a more professional way.
    What worked really well.......we did drink tickets, everyone got two, then after that cash bar, and the facility having the event provided the bartenders etc etc.
    It was a good segway..........
    Now I am not PC so if people do not like it being a Christmas party I really don't care.
    My $0.02 worth,
    The Balloonman