sexy manager

I have a senior manager whose job it is to represent the company out in the world. Think PR type. The problem is her manner of dress, not when she's in the office, but when she's on the road. In the office she dresses quite appropriately.
She has traveled with one peer a couple of times now and he has mentioned to me that her dress can be inappropriate. Short-ish skirts, tight jeans or shorts at conference type events, revealing spaghetti strap tops at evening events, etc. I heard a similar comment from a person who reported to the manager who no longer works here (she made the comment well before she left). The first colleague just came back from a trip with this manager, and his wife was with him. She also was appalled at the woman's manner of dress.

She has travelled with the Prez to client meetings, and as far as i know she dresses appropriately for these. It's only to these sort of informal work events where she seems to let it all hang out, so to speak.

I'm determined to speak the the President, to whom "Sexy" reports, but it's the age old problem of how to coach someone without firsthand knowledge, and the observer doesn't particularly want to go on record. And it's obviously a touchy issue. On top of which, there have been other HR issues this manager has had to be coached on. She's open to feedback, but this is a tricky one.

Any advice?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Ahh, the old dress code issue, my favorie wicked witch of HR subject...

First of all, do you have a written dress code policy? If so does it state the dress expected while representing your company?

Second, has this person been reminded of the dress code policy? What I would do, because you haven't witnessed this yourself, is send a copy of the policy to all those who represent your company - print it out and write each individual's name at the top. (If your company is large, just send it to her and her peers).You may even hand-write something like "remember you are representing ABC company - your attire must reflect our professionalism, competence, and values." (or some profound statement). Have the president sign it. That way he is made aware that there is an issue, but the offender can't accuse you of singling her out. This gives her a chance to correct her attire before you go to her boss.

If, after you have done this and you know she received the policy, she continues to dress inappropriately, go to her boss. You don't have to tell him who told you about her dress, just that it has come to your attention. For all he knows, it was a client, or potential client, that brought it up.

Good luck!
  • Ahh, the old "lack of dress code policy" issue...

No, we don't, and as we're a rather casual and smallish company, i don't see we'll have one any time soon.

My working relationship with the pres is not one where i would be cagey about where the comment came from (with respect to internal vs. external, in any event). i could certainly say "i don't want to reveal my source" but his hands are tied without specifics, and any specifics would reveal the source.

I'm not making this easy, am I?

• If its important to the company, then be direct about it. It mattered enough to the employees to bring to to your attention, and if they aren't willing to stand behind what they said, then they should never have said it. Clearly, "sexy" does know the difference between appropriate and inappropriate as she saves the latter for those times/events she doesn't plan on being seen at by "those that matter" (i.e. her boss). So, I would suggest the direct approach. To the Prez, I would say "It has come to my attention that 'sexy', while representing our company at such-n-such events, is dressing in attire that is not appropriate to the image we wish to convey". If he asks who brought that information forward, tell him. Then if Prez agrees it needs to be addressed, tell sexy the same thing, that it has come to your attention, blah blah, and let her know that while you don't have a formal policy in place, you do have expectations and spell them out, and tell her that you expect her to abide by them while representing your company when traveling. If she asks who said it, tell her that is not important. What is important is and repeat yourself on expectations. Then hold her accountable. If Prez doesn't think its a problem, then let it go. Without his support, you would be spinning your wheels.
  • Have any clients complained about her dress or made any indication they do not think her dress is appropriate to any one at your company?

Are you just going by what fellow ees are saying?

How long has she been doing this job?

Is her work satisfactory?

If you have never received complaints from the client and she dresses appropriate when she is at the office why do you need to do anything?
  • Your Prez should be able to handle this information without specifics. He should just pull her aside and say - don't dress like a hoochie mama when you are representing our company!

I would only do that if you are sure of your information - that it is not a bunch of envious folks who are intimidated by a saucy young thing who is well put together.

That is probably not the case, but if you haven't observed it personally, you, like the Prez, would be relying on the perspectives of others.

If you don't want to establish a dress code, you will always have to live with everyone elses interpretation of appropriate. As you can see by your posted example, this can result in a wide variety of tastes being presented as appropriate.

Next, you will find the nudists coming out of the closet because they don't think clothes are appropriate - or the gothic, punk rock throwback, complete with chains connected from eyebrow to earlobe.

Bizarre? Yes, but you don't define it so it must be OK.
  • Hey Caroliso,
    You never said if she looks hot or just trashy? Oh wait I guess that should not impact the decision making process............darn it!

The Balloonman
    Affectionado of sexy women. x:D