Interview questions

We are going to start interviewing for a Controller position and I don't have pertinent questions. Can anyone help with this?
Thank you

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • These are some questions I used when we tried to bring on a controller -

Many companies have poor communication top to bottom. What are some of your experiences with corporate communication? Have you ever done anything to improve it?

How do you make sure that the people and supplies that you are responsible for are used effectively and that waste is held to a minimum?

Have you ever missed a deadline or failed to complete a task? Tell me how you handled the consequences.

In negotiation, what is more important: clearly stating your position or understanding the other’s position? Why?

Some people have a knack for creating opportunity for themselves or their company. Have you ever done this? If so, give an example.

What do you do when asked a question and you don’t know the answer?

Some say the best way to learn is by mistakes. Give two examples of mistakes that have taught you something.

What is your salary requirement?
    ---------------------------------
    Please note I said "tried to" - we had trouble first defining what we wanted in a controller, which ended up being somewhat different than the "standard" description, then we had trouble attracting what we considered to be qualified applicants.

We ended up not hiring; in fact, I don't think any progressed beyond a phone interview because we just weren't finding what we were looking for. I think we more or less came out OK without one.
  • In negotiation, what is more important: clearly stating your position or understanding the other’s position? Why?

GREAT QUESTION!!!!

I am writing that one down.

My $0.02 worth,
    THe Balloonman
  • You have some great interview questions - however, you are not asking anything technical. For those of you who are also interested in the technical competence of a controller, which I would submit is very important, you should consider asking your outside CPA firm to be involved in the interview process.

All communication and negotiation questions aside, if the controller cannot reconcile an account, close the books, make meaninful analytical spreadsheets, and the myriad other technical controller functions, you have the wrong person.