Exempt Four Day Workweeks

Do any of you guys allow exempt level employees to work four day workweeks? It's easy to administer this to hourly employees, but gets a little tricky with exempts.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Rockie

We are a medical facility as you are and we are trying to convert to the 4 day workweek for all of our employees. Are you doing it for your hourly employees now? If you are would you share how you are doing this and also how you are working the PTO, how many hours do your employees work a week and what are you deal with unscheduled absences.

Thanks
    Ty
  • Ty: We are letting some departments try this on a trial basis to see how it works. Our Clinical area has been working this schedule for some time and, in some cases, it has been a headache when employees are asked to come in on their day off to work. They have to be reminded occasionally that this was the agreement when they went to four days.

Our business office is now wanting to do this and I suggested to the supervisor that the only way to handle this is to have an understanding that it will be a trial basis and that if staffing gets low, they may have to go back to 5 day a week schedule until staffing is back up. Employees are expected to take care of their personal business on their day off and it's understood if there is abuse of the privilege, (unscheduled absences) it will be taken away.

Our PTO is based on number of hours worked per week, so if the employee still works 40 hours, they would get the same rate of PTO.

Me, I would love to work four 10s instead of 5 10s!

• We have a couple of offices that do this, as they have non-exempts working 4 tens who need supervision. There doesn't seem to be any problems (knock on wood).
  • I have several depts that work 4/10s as well as individuals. If it is not agreed to via labor contract; I have the individual sign an alternative work agreement. This form notifies the employee that the schedule is a privilege and may be revoked by mgmt. It notifies that holidays are still paid out at 8 hours and they must utilize two hours of leave on a holiday to complete a 10 hour day or may be required to rever to an 5/8 week during a holiday week.

These schedules are reviewed annually or bi-annually to determine value to this public employer. Exempt staff gets the same form.

It works well.