To have or to have not.....

Office manager.
Our Ofc Mgr recently terminated. We have hired a few new ees and do not have a "Supervisor" for them. Our VP wants to put someone who is in another building with little contact to be the new ees supervisor or ofc mgr. I am against this because the person is not in the same building as their perspective subordinates therefore would need to rely on my or others observations.

What are your thoughts on this?

There is really no one else to be supervisor except for myself or the VP. Both of us do not wish to be the Sup and we are not hiring for one.

How would you handle this?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You have basically eliminated all your options - so the first thing I would do is go back and examine your assumption that the nominated supervisor must rely on the observations of others.

How true is that assumption? Perhaps a discussion with that designee would reveal additonal information that would change your thought process.
  • Well, if you or the VP aren't willing to step up to the plate your going to have to give it to the person in the other building.

If I were the boss I would give the responsibilities to you or the VP. Why should someone else in another building have to do it when you have two perfectly capable people in the building itself?
  • While your concern for the organization is admirable, your VP is apparently willing to assign a task you don't want to someone else. I'd thank my lucky stars and let it go and later offer my help to the new Sup, if he or she wants your help.