I-9 document?

I have a Social Security Card that states "Valid for work only with INS authorization " Then it has his ssn and name just like any other ss card. I have never seen this before. I tried calling the USCIS and Homeland Security for info and keep getting lost in the que (which tells me to call back later).

Is this a legal SS Card and valid for I-9 purposes?

And, no I am not a member of the SAVE program.

Thank you for any help.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I've only come across this one other time and the individual had, in addition to the SS card with the "valid for work only..." legend, a visa permitting them to work in the US for a short period of time (if I'm not mistaken it was a J-1 visa). I copied both documents.
  • Before you hire, get the INS authorization as stated on the card.
  • I am going to start with, yes this type of SS card is leaga. However, this doesn't mean the one you got is.
    It is for a certain type of "Visa/Work permit" which does have a time line on it. Normally the person takes "the next step" before the work permit expires.
    You do HAVE to get the INS authorization to "complete the package" and keep this information updated.
    E Wart
  • I have seen this on a number of occasions and you need to have the INS card to go along with it before you can consider the person legal to work in the US. The INS card will have an expiration date on it and you need to make sure you get an updated one once the current one expires. If the person does NOT have the INS card, they are not considered legal to work in the US.