Question on paperwork/pay for temp workers

We're a wholesale nursery and could use a few extra hands from time to time. We have a customer who is a small Landscape Maintenance company who has some employees who are looking for extra work. The owner of the landscaping company has agreed to bring her crew over to our nursery in the evenings to work for a few hours. She would work with them to handle translation, as her employees are all Hispanic.

We're only talking about 5-6 workers for 2 or 3 evenings, a few hours each evening. I think there is a regulation that states if someone doesn't earn more than $XXX per year, you don't need to withhold taxes. Anyone know what that amount is? Would we need them to fill out all of the employment forms? Would we be better just paying the Landscaper (if she agrees)?

Thanks!

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-22-05 AT 02:35PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Welcome to the Forum jrmvt! Where in VA are you (I'm from the Old Dominion State myself). My suggestion would be to 1099 them. Trust me, they won't be filing taxes anyway. I would definately pay the landscaper directly if you are able to do so at a reasonable cost.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-22-05 AT 03:04PM (CST)[/font][br][br]"Would we be better just paying the Landscaper?"

Yes, see yesterday’s discussion concerning Employees vs. Independent Contractors.

As far as you withholding question is concerned, the rule of thumb is that if an employee is going to earn less than the personal exemption and standard deduction amount listed on an IRS 1040, he/she can declare themselves as Exempt from withholding. I believe that the current minimum filing amount for singles and students (the earnings amount below which withholdings are not required) is $7,950.

However, your post states that the individuals in question will also be working for a landscaping company in addition to some part time work for you -- so I'm thinking that in the aggregate they will not qualify to select "Exempt" on the W-4 that they complete for you regardless of the minimum number of hours you have planned for them.

That said, I think you take the previous poster's advice and pay the landscaper directly.

Geno, SPHR

• If you pay the landscaper directly, the 1099 will go to her. Her problem will be to pay overtime if those employees work for her more than 40 hours per week.
  • OK, I've done some more checking and found out that the Landscaper would rather not run it through her company. My guess would be because she'd have to pay them overtime. Though from Geno's response, I'm wondering how that works into the mix (we are considered production agriculture and exempt from overtime regulations, though the landscaper isn't).

Right now, I'm leaning towards the 1099 route.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-22-05 AT 03:26PM (CST)[/font][br][br]
    There is no "mix" if they work for you in addition to working for the landscaping company as far as OVERTIME is concerned. They are starting with a clean slate when they show up at your place as YOUR employee.

The employee can work 40-hours per week for you and 40-hours per week for someone else and no one has to pay overtime.

It is the moonlighting employee seeking the Exempt-from-withholding status that need consider his/her aggregate wages.

Geno
  • Geno, the overtime would come into play if the landscaper is paid directly; however, it's the landscaper who has to pay the overtime.

Otherwise, it's correct. No overtime is due from jrmvt's business.
  • JRMVT: If you contract labor these guys, I recommend you have them complete an I-9 form to validate that they are authorized to do any work in our country. We are a farming operation also and we (AG TYPE COMPANIES)have taken some real hits across the country for employing workers that may or not be here legally.

As some have said on this forum the documents may not be worth the paper they presented on, but at least you will attempted to do what is right and fair. If you have work to be done, why not hire part time US Citizens, especially if they have been displaced from this part of the country.

Welcome to the forum. My e-mail is open if you have any other concerns in this area.

PORK
  • I would have the "Landscaper" just bill you for the work they do (not the time they work.) She can keep up with time, pay, taxes, insurance, etc. I wouldn't be concerned with the no. hours they work, just what the bottom line the Landscaper will bill you for the job done. Then you just pay the landscaper as you would normally for any of their bills and it is added to their annual 1099, if any. PLEASE don't get into paying each person directly. You are opening a can of worms.
    E Wart
  • Another wrinkle is that they might be under the supervision of the landscaper who might also expect you to pay for his/her services while on your site. This is a bucket of worms. Or should I say a bucket of illegals.

When you package this whole scenario, I think you'd be much better off hiring part time, temporary help whom you know to be legal.

If you employ the landscaper as an independent contractor, which you might get by with, you might also get by with not even worrying about the legality of the Spanish nursery laborers. But, then, that's what Wal Mart thought too.
  • Don't forget the whole WC and Gen. Liab. insurance angles. Hiring them as EEs will get you covered from that perspective - but I am not sure about the owner of the landscape company - you may have some exposure there.

Let the withholding forms and your payroll software worry about calculating the Fed and any State Income Tax Withholdings. If they overpay, they can get the dollars back when they file their 1040's.

I would not treat them as independent contractors.