spanish spoken at work

We are a manufacturing company with different companies located in the same working area. One of the areas has 3 employees who choose to speak Spanish while working on the floor but speak English without a problem. The other area is close by and has many employees of diverse cultures and they only speak English while working. The employees speaking Spanish to each other are alienating the other workers because they don't know what they're saying and feel they may be talking about them.

My question is can we tell the employees who speak Spanish while working that they must speak English while working? I want to make sure we don't say the wrong this....

PS - the Manager does not speak Spanish -- so they speak English when they talk to him but when they're working together they speak Spanish loudly enough so the other work area can easily hear.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • No offense...but is it affecting their work? The ones listening to the people speaking Spanish that is?

Though someone can speak English doesn't mean it's comfortable for them. They could have been in the US for 25 years and a citizen too and they may speak and understand English fluently but they'll jump at a chance to speak their native language. I've been in other countries where English is not spoken on the streets and when I met someone (anyone) from the US, I took the opportunity to chat with them. Put yourself in their shoes.

I wouldn't immediately assume that it's done as a form of disrespect to the other workers...it's just easier to converse and express themselves in their native language. Telling them they can't speak Spanish at work amongst themselves is as dumb as telling everyone else they can't use any slang or double-meaning words in earshot of the Hispanic (or other ethnic group) employees ... which is something very difficult for non-native English-speaking folks to learn.

My 12 cents worth...
    Cheryl C.

• If you can prove that it is a business necessity for an English only policy to be in place it would be legal. The EEO appeals court has held that employers who require their workers to speak Engligh on the job dosen't necessarily violate Title VII.

Now to define business necessity ... hopefully someone else can give you some ideas of recent court decisions....
  • Forcing workers to speak English only is likely to be found discriminatory. The EEOC and various courts have typically viewed such English-only rules as a form of national origin discrimination.

Now, as it applies to safety or business necessities, be certain that it is narrowly drawn, that you can establish its business necessity, and that it is only applied at certain times and in certain places for specific reasons, such as safety-related reasons.

Tell the other employees to mind their own business and not worry about silly stuff like this. Now, if they're saying things like "vete a la chingada" then you should approach the Spanish speakers and have a word with them.
  • Learn Spanish. The employees will respect you more, you can catch them saying stuff that is inappropriate if that is what they are doing, and your HR credentials will soar. Actually, they are probably talking about their kids.
  • I am expertly fluent in several Southern Proletariat Street Languages of multiple races. My ears turn red all day long and half the time I have my hands up over my ears moving through swiftly. I bet some of you did not know that Mother is only half a word.
  • Que lastima! Oh, one more thing, nivzix. If you hear what Gene suggests, run the other way.
  • The thing I found hard in learning Spanish is that in one country a word can be used freely without offense but in another Latin-American country it could be "una groseria"...bad word.

Cheryl C.
  • Tienes razon Cheryl, eso es cierto.
  • Aprender el espanol es la mejor arma en una situacion como esta. Y lo se por mi propia experiencia. :-)

Translation:
    To learn Spanish is the best defense in an situation like this. And I know from personal experience. :-)

Cheryl C.