Jobs for victims of Katrina?

I'll put it out there again.... :-) Wondering if there are any "ideas" - websites, etc. that we can use for posting jobs we may have for the victims of Katrina?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Don't know about general websites, but in my industry (hospitality) HCareers is offering free job postings to employers specifically targeting Katrina evacuees. They've set aside a page on their website for that purpose. Pretty good deal, since job postings on their site are normally around $300.
  • Well, here's close to what I answered the first time. All person's displaced and/or unemployed as a result of the hurricane were immediately eligible for federal disaster unemployment assistance. This kicks in whether or not the individual met the regular UI guidelines for their state eligibility. These people have registered through their state UI/WIA/WIN/Job Service/UI centers and therefore are automatically in the computerized bank of job seekers (IF THE SYSTEM WORKS PROPERLY).

So, it would be a simple matter to contact your agency and tell them that you would like referrals to include those displaced by the hurricane. Legally they cannot restrict the referrals to those, but, things have a way of happening.
  • What I answered the first time, Reader's Digest version, is to just get out and about in the community and put feelers out. You would be surprised at the results.

Gene
  • I just received this info today, hope it helps!

[url]www.katrinajobrelief.com[/url] This service can connect people to new employment opportunities, whether they be full-time, part-time, or temporary; whether they be in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, or elsewhere. This is a FREE service to both job seekers and employers, which is supported by many associations, publishers, and chambers of commerce throughout the country.

[url]www.katrinasolutions.com[/url] This message board sponsored by the Tampa Bay Partnership and the University of South Florida is devoted to help companies and individuals affected by Hurricane Katrina connect with organizations that have available resources and are looking to help. This site was created through a joint effort of Bayshore Solutions and Colliers Arnold of Tampa, FL to help those in the Gulf Coast region who have been hit hard by Hurricane Katrina.

[url]http://www.jobsearch.org/katrinajobs[/url] This site, from the US Department of Labor GÇô AmericanGÇÖs Job Bank, connects workers needing jobs with employers who want to hire them. Individuals looking for work and the opportunity to rebuild their lives, either in hurricane impacted areas or in new locations, can connect with employers who are anxious to hire them, for either permanent jobs or for jobs that are focused on cleanup and recovery.

• Our city has an on-going relationship with the local United Way office for the annual fund raiser and for providing assistance to employees as needed. I called my normal United Way contact, emailed him a job posting we had and he was able to forward it to the local groups that have direct contact with the victims. I don't know if all UW offices do this but it worked great in this case.
  • Our local Chamber of Commerce is holding a job fair - they sent out an e-mail asked us to forward to colleauges - word spread fast.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-21-05 AT 03:23AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Quite a few displaced teachers are now working and living in the schools in this area. Can't imagine knowing my home was leveled and I can't go back to it, then living in a school room on a cot and showering down the hall. It seems to me that first people have got to have places to live, places to go to at the end of the day. Hopefully Rita won't repeat this all over again and double the misery.