Jobs for victims of Katrina?

Has anyone heard of a web-site or some other "means" that I can use to advertise jobs we have for the victims of Katrina? I'm wondering if there has been anything "special" set up for them in particular? Would appreciate any input you may have...

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You would be surprised. Our local chamber is sponsoring one as is the local SHRM network. Just get out in the community and ask.

Here I go breaking my anonimity again (but I don't care since I consider most on the Forum like friends and family, pOrK included). I met a gentleman this evening at an AA meeting I frequent close to the Smyrna, TN Air National Guard Base. Coincidentally, that's where a lot of evacuees are being housed. Come to find out, he is nine years sober (proof that AA works considering he had every excuse to drink given the fact that he has lost everything including two kids and his elderly parents). Anyway, I talked to him for a bit after the meeting amd come to find out he remodeled homes for a living. I have been in need of a good Buildings and Grounds person for a while (can't seem to keep them). He'll be in tomorrow morning. The Smyrna Airbase is co-located with the airport, less than 500 meters from our plant!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gene
  • GREAT News! Things do have a way of working out!

You may also want to call the dept. of labor in the cities housing many of the evacuees. I saw a news report from Texas where they were holding on-site job fairs near the Astrodome.

Maybe even someone at the Red Cross could point you in the right direction.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-14-05 AT 08:32AM (CST)[/font][br][br]This is sort of off the subject of the question, but schools in our area are hiring teachers displaced south of us by the hurricane. So, not only are we taking in all the students that come our way, but the teachers as well.

Since all people displaced from jobs by the hurricane are immediately eligible for federal disaster unemployment assistance, whether or not eligible for state UI, they have more than likely registered at the local WIN/Job Service/UI/DOL office and that would be a good place to place your job order and specify displaced workers.
  • As others have mentioned, call your local employment security office (UI). One of my relatives works in a local office and she says they are swamped with evacuees and also are happy to hear from the many employers looking to employ Katrina evacuees.