I Really, Really Need Help Now!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-25-05 AT 05:59PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Dear Forum,

Let me make a long story short (forgive me if I punctuate with a few choice words given my mental state right now).

Round Two of the DOT anhilation is over. The A** Clown that was supposed to be managing and running our transportation couldn't find his a** with both hands if he tried. Bottom line: We are so non-compliant in everything from DQF's (MVR's, DAC reports) that we will probably be issued a 60-day cease and desist to operate if we don't get somewhere quick.

The President, Operations Manager and Plant Manager pulled me into the conference room and have tasked me with fixing the problem (for reasons yet not known to me).

I have to put together an entire fleet safety and management program in place. I have only gotten as far as ordering two JJ Keller products (Fleet Safety Compliance and Transport Safety Pro).

I am open to ideas and suggestions from those of you out there who operate your own fleet under your own DOT authority and can share with me some some wisdom. Remember, I have nothing to work with here. I am building from the ground up.

Thank you!

Gene

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Gene, first of all, it should be obvious to you why the higher ups want YOU to do the work. They want someone who will do it right and get the company out of trouble fast. Apparently you have shown them that you have what it takes. You are now the "go to" guy. Relish your role, Gene, and accomplish your mission. Now for what to do...

The DQF's are easy to construct. Alot of the information in them will come from already existing personnel files.

1. Contact your insurance company's risk management people for input and help.

2. The state DOT people here in Minnesota offer consulting and audit services. Hopefully they have something similar in TN. I've worked with your state people before at a previous job where we had a plant in Johnson City. I've always found them helpful, accommodating, and friendly.

I think as long as you are showing due diligence and progress, the regulators will cooperate with you. Good luck, Gene, and I now await your eventual success story.
  • Your rep with JJ Keller can be a great help. they have helped me in the past with regs, forms, etc.

Good Luck!
  • Your insurance agent can run and check MVR's for you......... like today.
    Larry hit the nail on the head...... they know you will get it fixed. Challenges and opportunities........ take a deep breath, you did not cause this catastrophy..... but you can become the hero. Good place to be. Once you get past the crisis, then when you talk to them about putting routine auditting in place of the DOT program they will say yes.......
    My $0.02 worth,
    THe Balloonman
  • I suggest you hire an outside contractor with experience in these areas. I have noted from your last four or five posted questions that you have so much flung at you right now that you cannot possibly assimilate plan of action and carry it out for the multitude of deficiencies cited in the audit. There's nothing wrong with contracting expertise. Grasping at 'Forum Straws' is not going to accomplish your objectives.

I sense the fact is that your company was non-compliant in three or four areas and you're not really sure whether to bail or buy a trolling motor. Find yourself a DOT Compliance and Safety freelancer in the community, call him in and get a bid on his getting you where you need to be as a company.

A variety of 'forum-friends' sticking their fingers in the dyke won't accomplish it for you.

• Does your company have other locations or corporate support? If so, you might want to touch base with them and see if they will loan you some personnel support - that is if the other locations have personnel that are trained and experienced in the areas that you're needing to get in compliance. You could bring in some trainers from a variety of different resources, but that takes a lot of time and money and there's still the learning curve. If you don't have support from other locations within your company, you might be able to get some guidance from companies with a similar disposition. And of course, document everything. You don't want to get your a@# in a sling over something that's not really within the scope of your profession and you don't want to take the fall for your plant manager or business unit director when the program goes belly up because you don't know what the H E double hockey sticks your doing.
  • Thanks, Brother Bluto, and welcome to the Forum! I think you should change your name to Brother Brutal, as in brutally honest. I appreciate that quality!

Gene