Screening job applicants

Let's imagine the advertisement for a job vacancy says: "Required education and experience: a BS in mathematics or a related field and two years of experience in measuring widgets. Please submit a Widgets-R-Us application form which may be supplemented by a resume."

You receive 25 applications, 24 of which do not show that the applicant has a BS in ANY field, even though the application has a section to show all schooling and the applicants have each submitted a resume that also fails to show the BS (please insert your own pun). Would you send the 24 persons who had submitted the applications without showing a degree a letter telling them their application was deficient and giving them time to supplement it?

I wouldn't, and i can't find a reason to do so when the requirement is stated clearly in the ad. However, I've heard this from somebody when I first came into HR and have read it in a book--neither source stated why.

Comments? If you would send such a letter asking about the degree, why? I'm at a loss. Thanks.

RT2

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Because you advertised for the position, I would send a "thank you" letter for their interest and, since all are deficient in the same area, include the reason.

Dear Joe Blow,
    Thank you for your interest in Widgets-R-Us. Unfortunately you were not selected for an interview because you don't possess the degree required for this position. Again, thank you for your interest. We wish you luck in your search.

That way, if they neglected to put their education on their resume (which would REALLY surprise me), they can call you.
  • NO!

If the degree is a bona fide requirement for the position, I wouldn't want to employ someone who wasn't smart enough to include it in their first submission.
  • If you like the one remaining applicant enough to hire, then I would send a letter to the others that the position is filled.

If you plan to re-advertise, I would go ahead and send the letter that says they weren't selected because they did not meet the requirements. This will save you the headache of answering 24 phone calls asking if their application is still on file, since they see the position is still open.

I understand how frustrating this is. I usually ask for a letter of interest because I want to hear in their own words why they want this position. I want it to eliminate some of the apps that go to every available opening, but I know that some people just can't/won't follow instructions.
  • Thanks for your responses. I agree I wouldn't want to hire someone who wasn't smart enough to figure out he or she had a required degree or experience.

rt2
  • 24 of the 25 did not respond with the BS requirement. Could it be that there are more candidates in this field of vocation without a degree than those with a degree. Just maybe you should be looking at all the experience and disregard the BS requirement. I was trained a long time ago that we professional HRs should be training everyone in the management chain to review all applications with the thought of inclusion rather than x-clusion. After all the real live interview is where you will really make the decision. Accepting experience as qualification for the BS degree is a very smart move on the companies' part.

PORK
  • I join the others but encourage you to review the qualifications for the job. Does measuring widgets really require a BA in Mathematics? Can candidates gain the knowledge in some other way than a degree? Maybe someone in the 24 could actually do the job.