Duplicate Insurance Coverage

Can an employer legally say that an employee cannot have duplicate health insurance? A family member has asked me this question & I have never heard of such a thing.

Specifically, the policy says: "An employee who has other coverage cannot duplicate coverages. The employee must make a decision concerning which plan to choose".

She is now being told she has to make a choice as she is on the company plan as well as her husband's.

Thoughts?

Comments

• 23 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have never heard of it. There has always been a coordination of benefits clause in any plan that I have had or been a part of. In prior times I have been on both my plan and my wife's and we currently have EEs that are on their spouse's plan.

• Yes, you can have duplicate coverages. The battle is over which plan is the primary. My understanding is that you must file claims with the primary first and any amounts not paid there can be submitted to the secondary insurance.

Also, there are co-insurance provisions with respect to property and casualty insurance and they will sometimes split the claim in some pre-determined portion, but I am not sure if these types of provisions apply to Health Insurance.
  • Yep, I understand that there are primary & secondary coverage stipulations - but can an employer legally say that an employee must choose between two plans, if they are eligible to be covered under both?

My family member (aunt) works for a non-profit DAC in southern MN -- she receives medical insurance form her employer (which is 100% EMPLOYER paid). Due to medical issues, she is also enrolled in her husband's plan to make up the difference in coverage. NOW her employer is saying; no, you cannot be covered under both plans, you have to choose (and it is in their handbook).

Again, I have never heard of such a requirement, is this legal?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-20-05 AT 05:56AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Our policy allows an employee to cover an employed spouse, but only if the employee pays about four times the cost of coverage had she not had coverage available at her place of employment.

Although there is 'coordination of benefits' to a degree, dual coverage does not pay 100%. If her coverage does not cover something that our policy does cover, we pay subject to our deductible and percentage. And if, for example, her policy caps a procedure at 1000 and mine caps it at 1200, then my policy will pay a percentage of the amount over 1000. That's not coordination of benefits.

I don't think an employer can mandate that there be no dual coverage. The employer can, however, have a policy that dictates the employee's spouse must either use her employer's policy as primary or suffer higher premiums for choosing his as primary and not taking her's at all. Does that make sense?

Maybe the policy of the company simply says, "There will be no coordination of benefits". Technically that is what mine says. Coordination of benefits and dual coverage are not the same thing. Coordination refers to the secondary policy paying after the primary. Ours doesn't do that, as I said.

"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot."
    Charlie Chaplin

• Unless there's some ERISA provision that I'm not aware of, I don't see why the employer couldn't say that employees can't have duplicate coverage. In my mind, this is one of those 'since there's no mandate to provide the benefit in the first place', situations, why can't the employer make up the rules under which employees may be covered as long as it's not discriminatory? If you can impose higher premiums because the employee or spouse has other coverage available, why can't you do this?
  • I can't remember the entire story, but I know one of our employee's spouse worked for a company that said if their spouse has group insurance coverage offered by their employer, they are not allowed to cover them under the spouses' plan. They are a large multi-state company.. so I guess they can do this.
    I think my President once talked with our Broker about doing this... so I think it might be possible to do. However, we are self insured so may be easier than a funded plan.

E Wart
  • I believe it IS legal to have a policy prohibiting duplicate coverage. If a spouse has coverage with his/her employer, your company can make them not eligible for your coverage because they are elibigle on another plan. It doesn't violate any discrimination laws.

• It is my experience that carriers will not allow double coverage for claims processing; however, primary and secondary supplement rules will apply to the primary covered employee. I advise all new enrollees to validate the cost and benefits available and make their decision to be a primary covered employee under our plan and a supplemental covered person under any other plan.

You shoudl tell your aunt to read the health plan document and learn from the written words because the person telling her that one can not be covered by two plans. They can but it must be sequental, one follows the other. It is normally not cost effective to be fully coveraged by both plans. Claims processing and the cordination of insurance claims and coverage will, I bet be on the primary/secondary basis.

PORK
  • Could the lawyers weigh in on this one? I too believe the employer has the right to say no duplicate coverage, but would like to hear from the legal side.
  • There is a deductible with the primary plan but I'm not sure what it is. That is the reason for carrying the duplcate insurance, to make up the difference in coverage. She had extensive throat surgery this past fall - which is why she feels she is being forced off the plan now.

It makes sense to me that her employer could refuse to let her spouse on if he has insurance through his job, but I'm struggling with the idea that an employer can deny an eligible employee a benefit simply because they choose to pay for additional coverage on their own.
  • I just back and re-read your question. Without knowing all relevant details, I think most forumites support that it is not proper to deny coverage. Whether it's legal or not is another question, and looks like the legal opinion must still be in the works.

Aside from that, please confirm whether the policy being denied is self insured. If it is, I still can't believe it's legal to deny coverage, but your description of the employee suspecting denial based on claims history implies that someone within the organization may have made a decision based on the claim history. I don't happen to think that is ethical, but I have no experience in self insurance so can't speak authoritatively, but an unaware decision maker basing a decision on business (cost factors) might attempt such a step. I'll bet most forumites have first-hand knowledge of like decisions where the basis for the decision was business only to find that the decision had to reversed after all the risks were assessed.

My question on the high deductible has to do with restrictions for folks covered by HDHPs. Those plans don't coordinate with non HDHP plans, so an employee picking up coverage for dependents would be required to choose if one parent had HDHP coverage and the other had nonHDHP coverage. They both could not be covered under both, nor could their dependents. We do not offer a HDHP, but another business in our rural location does. During our most recent open enrollment, we assisted in getting information for one of our employees who found himself in that situation and had to choose which coverage they wanted for children in the family.

Aside from that, please share more details if you know more. Details are tedious but do prove to be important when decisions need to be made.

Thanks,
  • I for one feel it is totally proper to deny coverage if the ee already has it especially when the empoyer pays 93% of the premium. Now whether that is legal..........we are still awaiting input.
  • The answer to your question may depend on state law. In New York, if employer pays 100% of the premium all employees must be covered; employees cannot opt out of insurance unless the employer sets up a Section 125 plan. If employees share the cost of insurance, they do not have to be covered. This is not technically the question you raised but is related. You wanted to know if employer can eliminate coverage for an employee who has coverage elsewhere - my response deals with the situation where employee does not want the coverage.
  • Seeing all the posts with most people talking about the ethics, etc, and few talking about what is actually legal I decided to respond. To make sure I knew what I was talking about, I first talked to a fellow employee who is a health insurance agent. She confirmed what I already believed and is posted below.

Most insurance laws are state laws. In this case, it would be state specific as the feds do not address it.

In my state, Kansas, it is legal. In fact, I would be very surprised to hear of a state that had made it illegal. It may not be the best or proper thing to do, but that doesn't make it illegal.

If you are in doubt, you can contact your Insurance Commissioner's office. They will be able to tell you if there is any state law that forbids it.
  • I believe an employer cannot do this. It sounds like the employer can be accused of discrimination based upon marital status
  • Is there a discrimination law that pertains to marital status?

Employers/people discriminate all the time. Only some of it is illegal. This one isn't.
  • A number of states prohibit marital status discrimination: New York, California (of course), New Jersey (possibly Colorado, Wisconsin and Nebraska) and it may be deemed sex plus discrimination under federal law.
  • But aren't you talking about same sex marriage? That is not the same thing as having your employee choose your coverage or their spouse's coverage, but not allowing both.

However, the states you listed may well have laws that would prevent this type of company policy. I used to live in California and can well believe that anything is possible there. I guess if a Calif. or New York has such a law I shouldn't be so surprised after all.

I don't see how you can equate any of this to sex discrimination though. The policy would apply to both male and female employees.
  • this is not marital discrimination. Check with your state insurance commission as suggested above.
  • The state insurance commissioner does not rule on human rights violations.
  • Tell me the law/statute where this is a human rights violation. Until then, I will stand by my assertion that this is NOT illegal, discrimination or otherwise. Again, I can assert that it is perfectly legal in Kansas and suggest the original poster check with their insurance commissioner's office to see if it legal in their state.
  • The plan is not self-insured & it is a HDHP. BUT, the policy was in place even when they had a $300 deductible.