EMERGENCY-PLEASE HELP!

I am in the process of getting crucified by an DOT Investigator for not having a proper drug and alcohol policy. Can anyone please help?!!!

If you have a DOT D&A policy will you please email it to [email]greyna@taylorfarms.com[/email]

THANKS!!!

Gene

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Gene,

Sorry, I don't have a DOT policy, but perhaps the HR Tools section on this website rises to that level? Might be worth checking out.
  • I can't believe you don't have one if you have DOT drivers. I don't currently have one either. I can mail you a driver's handbook I authored several years ago that has it in it, but it won't get there in time to save your bacon.

• DOT policies are very state specific. I would send you ours, but it's pointless because it isn't based on your state law. You need to find one from your state (is that Tennessee). Contact your state DOT department (or look on their website) because you can copy theirs for now.
  • It's a long story, but apparently our carrier, broker and consultant-approved policy does not pass muster. It's been a horrible day guys! Please someone, anyone, throw an old dog a bone........Pontius Pilate will be back tomorrow to deliver the final blow.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-16-05 AT 07:11PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Still trying to help,
    try this web site;

[url]http://www.etsu.edu/humanres/ppp/PPP-51AttachmentB.htm[/url]

From Eastern Tennessee State Univ - looks comprehensive and may qualify for DOT?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-16-05 AT 07:16PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Sorry to disagree HCA, but the federal Department of Transportation regulations are by no means state specific. If this is a federal DOT audit, it will have nothing to do with state law.

If, perchance, this is some sort of state audit, what Marc sent you is a great doorstop. Download it and print it and put it in a binder or at least a folder and tell them this is your procedure and practice.

You will still be guilty of not having signed acknowledgement of receipt in personnel files, but, maybe you'll scare off the boogeyman.

You aren't clear as to what kind of audit you are involved in. Federal audits don't give one hoot about your state regulations. They focus on all sorts of magnifying glass things like: Drug/alcohol policy, EAP, personnel File organization, recruiting practices, whether you have good background checks from DAC Services, accident history and records, annual physicals, log audits, trailer and tractor inspection procedures, on and on.

• "for not having 'a proper drug and alcohol policy.'"

Are you saying you don't have a policy at all or are you saying you don't test at all? If you conduct testing, I'll assume you have a third party who does the selection. They can give you a sample policy that's already been through legal review. Ask them to send you a sample policy, then just plug in your own numbers and company name.

• [url]http://www.dol.gov/elaws/asp/drugfree/drugs/screen15.asp[/url]

This website walks you through writing a drug policy--there's a template that you edit, I think.
  • Thanks to everyone who offered their help and assistance, both directly through the Forum and off-line communication.

The DOT audit was triggered by a complaint dealing with our use of a contract carrier. It was a full compliance audit, no stone was lef tunturned. Bills of lading were reviewed and matched to driver logs to verify hours of service, etc and then they were even bounced against roadside/scale inspections. These folks were on a mission.

We were commended for having an excellent safety record and maintenance program. The shortcomings were centered around regulatory compliance issues involving the contract carrier operating our vehicles under our authority and not maintaining regulatory vigilance over the drivers he put behind the wheel.

Thanks to everyone!

Gene