Positive Alcohol or Drug Test

We just had an ee test positive for a controlled substance under our DOT random program. Per DOT, he is pulled off all safety-sensitive job duties (truck driving, forklift driving, etc.) pending his first negative test. We moved him into another job class with a resulting decrease in wages until the negative test.

My question -- do any of you also follow this procedure for non-DOT positive alcohol or drug test results? We do random and fit for duty testing of all ee's.

Thanks much.

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We're a but more conservative. We don't have any DOT positions and terminate for any positive drug test and would if we required a breat alcohol test that came out positive. We are committed to solving our workers' comp cost problem and terminating for positives goes hand in hand with a safe workplace.

• Same here. We do not have DOT positions but do have a zero tolerance policy for positive drug or alcohol tests.
  • In this state we can't have a zero tolerance policy. The employee must be given one chance to rehabilitate. Our policy says that the employee is suspended until they complete an assessment, treatment at the employee's expense, and finally pass a drug test to get reinstated. We will then follow up random test the employee anytime over the next two years. State law dictates that we can't go beyond two years. The second offense is automatic termination.

We also conduct regular monthly random testing with all safety sensative employees in the pool for a drawing. Again state law dictates that random testing can only be done with safety sensative positions.

Just this morning a received the results back on one of our randoms and it was positive for amphetamines. When I called the employee in to suspend him he said, "Amphetamines!?! I thought I was doing cocaine!!"
  • A classic 'California-Type' example of the government sticking it's assinine head in business' business and deciding government knows what's best for business. Take a look at the business end of government and you instantly know why business can't be run by government.

• We have random DOT testing and a zero-tolerance policy. We've terminated a few drivers who tested positive. I've never had a driver yet who admitted to using drugs. When they're offered the opportunity to re-test at their own expense, they say 'nevermind.'

We follow the same procedure for non-DOT. A positive result is a termination.
  • I think you are being more than generous here. If we get a positive test, the person is suspended until all orders of the Medical Review Officer have been complied with. We also require the employee to sign a last chance agreement. We will rehabilitate once. If they do not want to sign the agreement which gives the employer the right to test at employer's discretion, we terminate. A second offense brings discharge. I thought our policy was more than fair.
  • We have DOT and non-DOT ee's.

Positive DOT: ee's are removed from all safety-sensitive positions, which generally means they are off work completely, until they visit the SAP AND complete all recommended treatment AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE. Then, following a negative return-to-duty test, they are placed back to work. (I have seen 2 ee's complete this process, but neither lasted long afterward - both due to problems at home. Other ee's say they can't afford the treatment and time off work, so they quit.)

Positive non-DOT: automatic termination.
  • We have a zero tolerance policy. For DOT's, we refer to an SAP and terminate under our own authority.

We don't do randoms for non-DOTs, but if we had a positive post-accident or reasonable suspicion, we'd terminate under our own authority.

Half HR