HR Audit

I am new to a company and want to conduct an HR Audit. Does anyone have a checklist they would be willing to share with me?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You'll have lots of check lists. There's one for employee files, one for training, one for OSHA compliance, posting requirements, payroll and timekeeping methods, grievance and complaint files, . . . . .

Try doing the audit in small pieces. If you're in HR, you won't have time to exclusively audit anything. I always say, 'If it wasn't for personnel issues, I could get some work done.'
  • Mr. or Ms. Brenner: If you are not in HR, no amount of checklist will provide you with enough ideas upon which to base an HR audit. If you have not worked in HR for years, you will not be able to conduct any sort of meaningful audit of HR, with or whithout a list. If, on the other hand, you have worked in HR for a number of years, you would not need to ask for a checklist of how and what to audit in HR.

Tell me where I am wrong.

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.
  • I disagree. Doing an occasional mini-audit is a good exercise for any HR department, and is especially helpful if you're coming in new.

For a full-fledged employment law audit, you might check with your employment law firm. For an in-house version, there are several articles in the HR Answer Engine that can give you a good checklist. Go to the HR Answer Engine, search for HR audit, change the state selection to "all states," and you should see a couple of good audit lists, one in a North Dakota article and another a series of three articles from Florida.

Brad Forrister
    VP/Content
    M. Lee Smith Publishers

• Thank you Brad. How can I find the HR Answer Engine?
  • If you click on the Search button at the top of any hrhero.com page, you'll get this:

Search

There are four ways to search HRhero.com, depending on what you're looking for. The first method, which is our biggest, most powerful search engine, is available only if you subscribe to our Employment Law Letter in your state. If you don't subscribe, scroll down to search the free area of HRHero.com, which still includes a great deal of helpful information.

1. Employment Law Letter subscribers: Search your online library

If you subscribe to the Employment Law Letter in your state, then you have access to a vast online library of resources at no extra charge. All you have to do is log in to the Subscribers Area of HRhero.com. Then click on "HR Answer Engine" to search through any or all of these resources...

(and it goes on to give you the three other search options - #1 will get you where you need to go-if you're a subscriber)
  • Click on the Login button at the top of the home page, and enter your Subscribers Area ID and password (which may not be the same as your Forum ID & password, depending on how you set it up). In the subscribers area, the HR Answer Engine link is right below the headlines for the current issue of your newsletter.

Brad Forrister
    VP/Content
    M. Lee Smith Publishers