"Us Against Them"

I'm sure many of you have encountered this problem and I'm looking for some insight on how to handle this situation.

We are a union facility and have an overwhelming problem with individuals electing not to "tattle" on their "union brothers and sisters". What then happens is that when we do have a problem that manages to make it to management's attention the first thing we hear is "so and so is doing this as well but they aren't getting in trouble". When I try to follow-up on what they are saying they refuse to give me names, dates, etc. of what happened. If I DO manage to get them to tell me the "who" the incident usually occurred months prior and it is too late to do anything.

For example, over the past week or so we have had someone spitting on our production floor. While the actual spit has been pointed out (and subsequently cleaned up properly) nobody has come forward to tell me who has been doing it. Well yesterday I had an employee in my office on an unrelated issue and they questioned why nothing was being done with the individual who is spitting. I asked who it was and they gave me a name and I then asked if they had seen the person doing it and they responded "no" but they knew of others who had witnessed it. I asked this person to tell me who saw it and they refused. I am then stuck because I cannot accuse someone of doing something without having an eyewitness statement.

This type of thing has happened with workplace accidents, individuals reporting to work under the influence of drugs/alcohol, not following safety regulations, etc. so it is a serious problem. Confidentiality is not an issue because I ensure confidentiality is maintained throughout an investigation and I have NEVER "thrown someone to the wolves". The issue is not wanting to tell on their union brothers and sisters.

Any advice?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • One of the age-old problems of the workplace, and not related at all to union sites. Although it may seem more prevalent in a union setting, it's everywhere. The advice I have for you is to never, ever chase those rabbits. When counseling with or disciplining an employee and it heads in that direction, I've always said (and recommend you do), "We are not here to talk about anybody's behavior/production/attendance but yours." All you will get is additional heartburn and frustration when you chase the same rabbit that has outrun you so many times before. He never gets slower, only better at diverting your attention from the issue at hand.

After the disciplinary meeting is concluded, you can always say, "If you have something to report to management that management can deal with, with specifics, feel free to do that by contacting me or your supervisor."

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.
  • What kind of relationship to you have with your Union Officers?

We have had similar matters here, and worked really hard with the officers to show that these were matters that needed to be addressed and that it was bigger than one person...we created a few "incentive" programs with the help of the officers, to encourage cooperation.

The officers set the tone for how ee's will deal with management. If they feel that you'll be fair and upfront, they'll work with you....if they think that you're gunning for people .... no one will see nuthin'.

Good Luck...
  • My advice and experience have nothing to do with union officers. It's just sound practice. Maintain control of your meeting. Never let the employee drive the meeting. Don't let the employee's attempts to manipulate the outcome of the meeting succeed.

Anybody who is or has been a parent is familiar with the 'everybody else is doing it' response to discipline.

But, back to your question. Union officers have no allegiance to the employer. They are elected and trained to represent the bargaining unit and the business agent and international rep drill that into them regularly. Don't get duped into accepting this 'we're here to help you' charade.

• I have seen and worked with this mentality as I have been on both sides of the union/management fence. As a union rep, I told employees to never bring up what somebody else did as you are the one who is caught. A reply to the union or member on this issue is simply that the company is dealing with the facts that came to light at this time. There are many levels of investigation you can use. We had a similar problem and nobody seemed to know who did it. We caught the perpetrator using a hidden camera. Finally, be careful about people who talk to you. If they are witnesses of bad behavior that can lead to discipline, they are also the star witnesses at a potential labor arbitration. If you do not like union people keeping quiet regaring bad behavior, you will really hate it when the story changes about what they say so you lose at arbitration. Welcome to the wonderful world of labor relations.
  • The union official or business rep is not, and never will be, "employer friendly". I have seen situations where the business agent threatened a union member if he spoke against his union brother.

• Yes to everything above, HOWEVER, we had one that started like this and escalated both in behavior and complaint levels to a lawsuit on the front page of the paper (literally!). It was called workplace harassment and much more and after a lengthy and difficult investigation we had lots of levels of discipline for lots of folks. In our case it was union, but it is definitely not restricted to union behavior. We started with rumors, then charges, then EEOC and litigation. We started the investigation when we got a rumor we could grab on to and we interviewed everyone mentioned by anyone else - all the finger pointing. Investigators were from outside for this one. We compared all stories and the veracity of the story-tellers and issued warnings and discipline. Then we set up a solid program of mandatory training on harassment. These guys told us that this had been going on since their fathers and grandfathers in the union and that was the excuse. Trouble was, one grandson didn't like it when it was his turn. We know it's still a problem, but not to the same degree it was. We made it clear it was not allowed.
  • It's probably a universal problem in the workplace! The way I handle it is that I address the issue in a general manner to all employees and ask the behavior cease. Eventually someone will come to me and tell me who it is. I bring in that person with the union rep and ask them if they have any knowledge about the situation and take it from there. i do not accuse them nor do I tell them the name of the person who advised me. Sometimes they "come clean", other times they don't but in either case 9 times out of 10 the behavior stop