What about the other applicants?

We are hiring for an office position right now. The hiring manager asked me the other day - "If I find the right person half-way through interviewing, can I cancel all the remaining interviews?"

How would you respond? In your (professional) opinion, what kind of ethical and legal obligations do we have to the remaining applicants? I have my own thoughts, but I'm curious to see what others would do in this situation.

Thanks, as always, for you input.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Unless the manager is some sort of psychic and has a history of making very good choices I would advise continuing the interviews. There may be a better person to come.
  • Keep interviewing...you just never know...you may be turned down by choice #1 and need backups...

• I'm assuming you had the others well prescreened, determined qualified on paper and have it to a reasonable number, like six or fewer for one opening.

I agree that the process MUST unfold and the other candidates should be interviewed, and NOT just courtesy interviews.

Not knowing the politics of your organization or your strength in that regard, but I would say to him/her "Our process is to continue through the candidate pool." If you must give logic, tell him/her that his choice may well not turn out to rise to the top at the end of the process OR as was said, you may need a fallback position if the person doesn't accept. Then you also have background problems that could arise. Nor do you want to send a message to the applicant community that you are an undesirable place.

Could go on and on. There's really NO good reason to stop the process unless you have 20 more people to go through.

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.