Extreme Heat

We work in manufacturing and our shop is not air conditioned. We put water and Gatorade in coolers for the employees. If they want to leave early they can without penalty. Please let me know what other companies do for their employees under these circumstances. x:-/

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We are manufacturing in GA & TN and do have a/c but often in the south it is very hot anyway. Some of our dept. begin an hour earlier in the summer and leave an hour earlier in order to avoid the heat.
    I would think that you would have to handle the leaving earlier with an evaluation of each case. Such as, we have an employee in TN who has a heart condition, we have him working reduced weeks during the hot weather (leaving about noon). We have let others leave early when they feel it is too hot, but we have to make that judgment and have other employees still working.
    I would say you should not penalize them for your not having a/c.
    E Wart
  • Our employees work outside. We've changed the work schedule from 7:30 to 4:00 to 6:00 to 2:30 so they are not working during the hottest part of the day. They are instructed to take shorter and more frequent breaks, drink plenty of water, and move to shade. Our employees receive training on heat illness to stress the importance of these guidelines.
  • Wow! A mfg. facility without a/c! Are your offices at least air conditioned?

Can you provide industrial fans to keep the air circulating and cool?

Our mfg facility is ac'd, but then again we are making refrigeration products. We get complaints about it being too cold more often than too hot.

I would recommend that you provide them with a cool place to rest frequently. An AC'd break room or rest room and maybe provide fans (if it won't interfere with production or machinery).

People would be dropping like flies in GA if they didn't have AC in the summer.
  • We do allow them to take more frequent breaks. Our break rooms, office and QA labs are air conditioned and we encourage the employees to use these areas for relief. Every employee is furnished with a fan. We have also changed shifts so they can start earlier. Most of our employees are working 5:30 am - 2:00 pm. Looks like Wednesday this week we will finally get some relief from the heat. Note: We are currently looking into air conditioning for the entire shop. :DD
  • Here in the land of 110 degree heat index (advisory on right now until tomorrow night) we need to take this very seriously. Luckily for us, 90% of our facility is refrigerated. Our main concern is with our yard jockeys, who are outside all day and our maintenance/buildings and grounds crew. We have purchased Camelback hydrating systems for them. Basically, it is a backpack type of device with and insulated bladder which holds 2 liters of fluids. They have a tube with a drinking valve that clips to the shoulder strap and allows them to drink on the go. The best part I like is that it allows you to monitor your water intake more effectively. It's tough to do that with dixie cups and a cooler or water fountain. With this device, you know you're emptying 2 liters and need to do so at least twice before lunch and twice after.

Gene
  • If your budget will not allow for air conditioning, at minimum you should purchase large, oscillating, blower fans and mount them preferrable up off the floor so as to maximize effect. Simple wind movement will do wonders in the heat. Even though our manufacturing facilities are air-conditioned, there are many hot spots and we've installed these air movement fans all around the facility. I would also encourage multiple large cooler-containers of electrolyte based liquid and discourage fruit juices and all soda-type drinks from the machines.

Good luck with the idea of letting people decide if they need to leave early. I'm afraid we'd have a vacant building if we did that.

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.
  • All of our facilities are air conditioned but meter readers and journeymen are always outside. We provide plenty of water, uniforms switch to shorts in the warm weather, and everyone has safety training on illnesses due to heat - both how to keep yourself safe, and how to recognize when someone with you is becoming disoriented and needs help.