Drug Test

We are recruiting for a department head position. Normal procedure is to require a drug test once a job offer has been made. However, we are flying a prospective employee in from out of state for an interview and would like to send him for the drug test while he is in town. Does anyone see a problem with this?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes, I see a problem with it. You will effectively eviscerate your policy by doing this. Why would you want to do it now? Why not wait until you make an offer? Better yet, make your offer contingent on a succesful drug screen.

Gene
  • If the result of the test is negative, then you will not have to worry and move on to the next step. If it is positive, you now run the risk of no job offer due to the test results.

I believe it is always for the best to follow company procedures to the letter of the company policy. It is not worth the potential risk for what ever reason. Make the job offer and run him/her by the physician's office to take necessary pee in the cup routine on the way to the airport.

You could also have him/her go to a physician's office in his current community to take the test and have the physician's results forwarded to you for consideration and payment.

PORK
  • Thanks guys! You just confirmed my position.