Joke gone bad in our newsletter

I have never had to deal with this type of situation so I REALLY need some advice...sorry this is SO long!

First, we have about 150 employees and our corporate culture is pretty laid back, we do joke around a lot and have an excellent "work-family" setting.

So, with that said...We put out a quarterly newsletter and this one we decided to poke fun at our uppermanagement staff. (myself included) The newsletter we made it look and read like a National Inquirer.

Everyone was asked prior to the jab about themselves being printed - except for one person. (not on purpose) Well, this person is upset about what was posted.

This manager a couple of years ago wore this carmel colored speedo and was the "butt" of a lot of jokes. (he joined in as well-he is also a fair skinned black man) Which made it look like he was wearing nothing at all since it matched his skin tone.

On our managers cruise a couple of months ago we were all at the pool and he wore it again stating "I thought you guys probably missed this".

Well, in our newsletter we have a picture of his face and a small picture of a carmel colored speedo and the ad read's "The flesh toned speedo -available at Joel's".

He became very upset about this and picked up his things and left the office saying if anyone needs him to call his cell phone.

Of course we ALL feel horrible as our intend was not to upset him - any suggestions on how to smooth this over...

Thank you...

Comments