UI and Harassment

I'm trying to be brief on details, I promise.

A former employee had been sort of on the ropes for a while due to attendance and attitude problems. She finally submitted a written resignation and 2 weeks notice. She did not have another job lined up, and has had difficulty finding another job. She filed for unemployment, I completed the form noting a voluntary termination. This week, I received a notice of appeal, based on the voluntary quitting employment. On its face, it seems pretty cut and dried, right? And I think it is. However, this is where potentially alleged harassment comes in.

I was working with her former supervisor to complete a reference check, one question was regarding relationship with management. The supervisor said offhand that former employee had felt the president was discriminating against her because she was a woman. I said that she had never made a complaint to me, and he said it was because she thought I had it in for her, too. In my mind, I immediately went to the comment section of her review, completed a week and a half before she submitted notice, where she made reference to the "glass ceiling" that exists here. At the time, I didn't think much of it to be honest, because I didn't know what she meant.

During the time she was working here, there were two occasions where the dept manager position came available. I am not certain if she ever put in for that, but she was not selected due to aforementioned attendance and attitude problems (The manager when she hired in was female, she retired, we hired a male, fired him, hired another male). During my reign, she did put in for a newly-created assistant manager position which she did not get for the aforementioned reasons. While the person we did hire for asst mgr is male, he also was a manager for 20 years at another plant.

So, after this long and winding story, do I need to worry about anything at the UI hearing? Or do I only need to worry if I get a letter from the EEOC in the mail? I never investigated anything because I never felt I received a complaint. In hindsight, I perhaps should have taken the review comments as a complaint, but she also was slinging mud at me because she got a written warning for attendance near the same time that she said was "improperly initiated". (It wasn't.)

PS - I have only had to sit in on one UI hearing, and it was three years ago at a previous job, so I don't remember much about it.

Comments

• 25 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Any issues with the glass ceiling comments would have small bearing on an UI hearing, however, I would go into the hearing armed with my company's policies related to grievance and the evaluation process. Be ready to document why you thought the comment did not rise to the level of "complaint."

Part of this documentation would include the EEs signed acknowledgement of receipt of handbook.

Also, just in case, have your documents together with respect to the improper initiation comments related to the written warning.

Then let the chips fall where they may.
  • "The supervisor said offhand that former employee had felt the president was discriminating against her because she was a woman."

At the time she made her feelings known to the supervisor mentioned above, the company was effectively on notice that something was wrong and inquiries should have been started.

Whether or not introducing this "new information" in the context of a UI hearing is going to benefit her is an open question. I recently had a UI appeal in which the claimant introduced new reasons for her resignation, and it didn't fly with the administrative judge.
  • Unemployment decisions in my State are based on their own set of rules and requirements, which often seem unrelated to standards of cause and progressive discipline. Basically, in this scenario, since the former employee had the opportunity of continued employment and voluntarily resigned, the decision would likely be denial of unemployment benefits. The employee has other avenues for addressing allegations of discrimnation unrelated to eligibility for unemployment (at least for now).
  • There are times when it is not a good idea to challenge an unemployment decision - and that is a decision that can only be made by you and your attorney. The legal concern is that by challenging unemployment you divulge all of the information that you would use to defend yourself in a court case and the opposing attorney now has it. Stuff that may be useful in order to defeat an unemployment claim may be material that the company attorney would rather not have available to the opposing side in a court case. Of course, the opposite is also true - you may find out things that would be valuable to know when setting legal strategy. If you anticipate legal action you might want to run this by your attorney.
  • No matter what you decide to do (and you have been given good advice), the manager should be trained or retrained on harassment and harassment complaints.

• Gillian went the angle I was thinking. Be careful what you say, it can and will be held against you in a court of law. If it were me, I would be consulting our attorney and getting all my facts together before I even decided to contest the claim.
  • I'm confused.....is she alleging harassment or discrimination? Everything you've described points to discrimination, but you've been labeling it as harassment. In any event, I don't see what can be gained by not defending your company at the UI appeal. If you don't attend, she can walk in there and spin any pack of lies she cares to, and it'll be on the record without rebuttal. Did she give a reason on the resignation letter? As others have said, you should get legal advice on this one, but I think your company should have representation at that hearing.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-05-05 AT 02:05PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Actually, she isn't alleging anything yet in so many words. I just can't imagine how she can contest the unemployment otherwise. Please excuse the poor choice of words! x:-8

Our "company attorney" is retained out of California - we use the same one that our former parent company uses. Unfortunately, they know little about how the world works outside of CA. I will be attending the hearing, and I guess I'll get together everything I can think of as relevant to submit for our side.

edit: No reason given in letter. Just "last day will be X."

Thanks!
  • Any state unemployment system I'm familiar with limits appeal testimony to that which has already been introduced prior to appeal. Also, both the claimant and the employer have a right to a copy of the complete record including claimant statements made during the interview process and that which is a matter of record. The appeal must be based on that record. Unless it's a mighty screwball referree/hearing officer, testimony about such things as alleged discriminatory practice will not be allowed on appeal. You will probably find that this is not included in the earlier record. Request from your UI division a complete record of the claim including the application for benefits and any forms the claimant filled out.
  • I am fresh from an appeal hearing where the employee quit. His response was the supervisor was out to get him and that's why he left. huh?
    In GA, the appeal notice lists the issues to be decided. One of those being "whether the claimant left their most recent employer with good cause and would be entitled to benefits."
    I requested a copy of the ee's response to find out where he was coming from and prepared my defense based on that. He attempted to make allegations against the supervisor and the hearing officer cut him off.
    As Livindonsouth said, most of what you are worried about probably isn't there and would not be allowed and they shouldn't let the ee go off on a tangent.
    I'm interested in what she said in requesting an appeal. Good luck!
  • Another good defense measure is to show that the employee did not take the correct avenues to file a proper complaint - if there even is one.

If she felt she was being discriminated against, she should have filed a complaint. Even if she felt like you were "out to get her" then she should have gone over you, around you, or to someone she trusted.

If you don't know about her complaint, you didn't have the opportunity to investigate and/or resolve it, therefore the employee quitting b/c of discrimination won't be an effective argument on her behalf if no one knew of the discrimination.

Do not mention the comments the manager made. If it's not in writing, it doesn't exist.
  • Jm; I suggest that the employer representative would NOT even respond to this allegation. If it is raised in the appeal in the form of a question to the employer, the employer should object, stating that it is not relevant since is not part of the claim prior to the appeal and the decision to disallow did not consider such an allegation. No experienced hearing officer would allow this discussion to proceed unless it was part of her original claim.

In the remote chance that discrimination was a part of her originally filed claim and is part of the record, when it's the employer turn to examine the claimant, the only questions that need be asked of the claimant (each only requiring a yes or no answer) are: (1) The document that I introduce into evidence now, is this your signature acklowledging receipt of a copy of ABC's employee handbook? (2) In the handbook, that you acknowledge receipt of, on page eleven, now introduced into evidence, are you aware of ABC's complaint procedure and policy of non-discrimination? (3) Did you follow that procedure or at any time report to Human Resources that you were discriminated against in employment? (4) When you resigned your job, did you report to Human Resources or management at any level that you were quitting your job because you were unlawfully discriminated against? I think the answers are Yes, Yes, No, No, which should determine the outcome of the hearing.
  • In general, we follow the procedures outlined by Gillian3 and Livindon..
    At the hearing we present the relevant Company policies and acknowledgements, as relevant. In the case of a voluntary quit, we try to get a written letter of resignation that can be presented at the hearing, and at the hearing, deal with the employment termination as an establishment of the "voluntary quit" status. If, during that process, discrimination issues arise, under your circumstances, we may have requested a prior legal evaluation of our exposure and we might elect to drop our contest of the appeal in order to preserve our defense against a potential discrimination complaint.

• >If, during that process, discrimination issues
    >arise, under your circumstances, we may have
    >requested a prior legal evaluation of our
    >exposure and we might elect to drop our contest
    >of the appeal in order to preserve our defense
    >against a potential discrimination complaint.

Following LivingdonSouth' "keep it simple, Stupid" (KISS) is the better course of action. Employee Handbook, specific pages of the handbook pertaining to attendance and the letter of "voluntary quit"/resignation, and the official final document of termination is all that is needed to be presented on the appeal hearing. I would not take anything else in preparation for the what ifs.

PORK

• I finally decided not to wait for the second round of paperwork (giving the hearing date, etc.) to see what I would get along the lines of information, so I called the Appeal Tribunal (boy does THAT sound Survivor-ish). The nice lady on the phone said the burden was on the former employee to prove she had "good cause" (I think was her wording) for leaving. She also offered to send me a copy of the appeal file, which I of course accepted. Hopefully I'll get more info in there and can be prepared.

In case anyone is curious, our Dispute Resolution policy indicates "employees are encouraged to discuss any issue informally with the person to whom they report. If this does not resolve the problem, the next step is appeal in writing to the President."

Since she didn't attempt to follow proper channels (writing to the President), I think that will work in our favor.
  • ....Unless she claims the president and her supervisor were messing around with her.

I'll still bet you a dollar to a donut that this is not part of the appeal. You mentioned the appeals tribunal. In this state, that indicates it has already run through the appeal hearing, was affirmed and she appealed to the higher level, which is typically a non-hearing rubber stamp. Maybe your setup is different.

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.
  • I'll see your dollar and raise you a homemade peanut butter twist. (As soon as I perfect that recipe, I'll post it. It's really good.) I'm trying to over-prepare because she's smart enough to play dirty. I'm hoping you're right, though.

As far as I know (based on the paperwork received), this is the first level of the appeal (but it might also be first and last). I'd look it up but the NE DOL web page is down or something.

The rest of our policy says if an employee is not satisfied with the President's response, they have the option of going to an arbitrator (I think - I read it quickly two hours ago, and we've never used it). At this point, I feel pretty good about our "defense" so to speak.
  • Make sure it backfires on her if she does 'play dirty'. I'm sure you'll do a class act of feigning disbelief and amazement. And that, followed by your four questions I posted above, should get you roses for the performance. There will only be one 'dunce stool' in the hearing room and the place card beside it has her name on it.

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.
  • I got the letter today already (wow - who knew the gov't could be so quick?!?). It reads:

I believe the decision was based on incomplete information obtained during a very brief phone interview. The questions were focused on the day I gave my resignation and not the complete events and instances of mistreatment and personal attacks that lead up to my giving a letter of resignation. For this reason, I am requesting an appeal so that the complete information can be heard and recorded.

So, I'm going to over-kill and submit her resignation letter, her most recent review (which was trying to be positive and which gave her a raise), a copy of our dispute resolution policy from the handbook, her signed acknowledgement sheet from said handbook, and her attendance record. Not sure how far back I'll go, I'd have to pull time cards for more than 1.5 years.

I have requested her immediate supervisor and our president to sit in on the call with me. Any other suggestions?
  • Sounds like good preparation from my experience.
  • Update:
    The hearing was yesterday afternoon - it went an HOUR AND A HALF. Her take was that we forced her to make a moral and ethical decision last November when we told her to re-test a resin that had went out of shelf-life (expired). She then was instructed on her review in May to develop and implement a procedure for re-testing resins. She felt that if she did not do that, she would be fired, and if she did do it, she would be breaking laws and acting unethically.

We re-test resins all the time. The spec that she was working under did not say the resin could be re-tested, but it did not say it couldn't. Had we re-tested it, we would have presented the results to the customer. We didn't re-test it.

Oh, she also said I gave her a written warning for tardies in retaliation for comments she made on her review. No really, she was actually tardy. The timecard was submitted as evidence.

I felt at a disadvantage because we didn't really know what path she was going to take and I wasn't prepared for that path. Here are my suggestions for someone who is going into an unemployment hearing without an attorney:

1) Write out the questions you want to ask all witnesses. If you are unsure of what the former employee's testimony is going to be (as I was), have your witnesses write out questions as the testimony is occurring.

2) Make notes of EVERYTHING you want to address, and be organized. I indicated that I had spoken with her supervisor about the written warning for attendance, but did not actually say that I would never have issued the warning in retaliation. (She was late!) I had scrawled it down, but it got lost in some other scrawlings.

3) Submit everything you think you might need for documentation. If they don't have it, it doesn't exist. I think I only asked that about half my documents actually be introduced as evidence.

4) Use a good phone! The judge actually asked us to switch phones because our speakerphone blinked out several times. We hadn't known of any problems before, but I don't think it reflected very well on us.

We should get a decision in a couple of weeks. I'm just glad it's over.
  • Good pieces of advice. I think you'll win. I always over-prepare for hearings; three copies of everything, in colated sets, numbered in bold magic marker; questions written out, major points bulleted, summary remarks typed, certain things bolded and underlined. And, almost irrelevant, but one of the first things asked of the employer: When was she hired, what was her job title, what exact date was she terminated.

There's never a table. The referee is behind a government desk, so I just line everything up at my feet in neat stacks. Drives a claimant mad.

• WE WON! There were a few facts that we didn't get presented clearly enough, and some points that we weren't sure we made that were clear. The bottom line was that the burden of proof was on her, and they were not convinced that we asked her to "violate her ethical concerns".

She can appeal within 30 days, but I think our case would only be stronger in that situation because we now know her angle. And, based on that angle, I don't think we'll be hearing from the EEOC, but if we do, I'm ready for that, too!

Thank you very much to all who weighed in. I really appreciated the suggestions and support.
  • Thanks for letting us know. It is always nice to see 'the rest of the story.'