Recruiting NOT a function of HR???

I am the HR Manager for my organization. A few years ago (when I was not managing the department), my company decided to make Recruiting a stand alone department, not part of the HR area. Tomorrow, I am meeting with Sr. Management to propose the consolidation of these departments once again. Among my reasons for this change are: Liability, expertise on benefits, communication, retention and personal growth of the recruiter.

Can you experts help me to provide a solid platform on which to present my proposal? What are some more reasons you can think of?

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Plus it helps you in HR have a good relationship with all your departments by aiding them in finding the best qualified employee for their department. How do the Recruiters know what all is involved in a particular position? One of the things I had to do with my position is to find out the 'ins and outs' of each position so that I could match a candidate with that position. What better place to do that but in HR? Think about confidentiality as well.
  • The employment relationship(coordinated by HR) is a process which starts at the recruiting stage but includes compensation, employee relations, termination advice etc. etc. It helps when everyone is on the same page.
  • I'm so set aback by the reality that there is an employer out there who has a recruiting function that is not part of Human Resources that I don't have a response other than this one.
  • Welcome to the forum LoriPHR. I've never heard of an HR department and a separate Recruiting department. There must have been a political or personal reason to separate them at the time. Anyway I'm guessing that HR designs the job description for the positions for which you are recruiting. What do you do then? Do you provide the job descriptions to the recruiting department or does the recruiting department send you candidates that have already been screened? Who explains the benefits package during the recruitment process? Who produces turnover reports and provides exit interviews? There are too many areas that mesh together for there to be a separate department. Recruiting is a function falling under the HR department.
  • Compliance with state and federal laws such as AAP, EEO, and applicant tracking are major reasons to integrate the departments.

No one department/person should have all the say in who is hired.

I like our method. A department requests a position be filled, HR places the ad and recruits/screens applicants, does initial interview and passes on the highly qualified candidates to the department hiring.

That way no candidate is discriminated agains, willingly or unwillingly or so a manager doesn't pass over any resume of a qualifed candidat b/c of something that they don't like. Also it is good practice to track all applicant whether legally required to or not. This is something that recruiting and HR would need to work on together.
  • I concurr with all posters above. Jim in Atl lays out exactly how it is done in this company.

I, too, can not imagine that there is a seperate Recruiting Department. Politics is alive and well in the business world, too. I strongly encourage you to seek the rejoining of the HR responsibilities and accountabilities. There may be some real budget savings by bringing it back into the fold. On-the-other-hand the recruiting of a multitude of a particular field of vocation/specialities might have been the reason that your past partner gave up the Recruiting function.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it all comes out in the wash!

PORK

• I've heard of recruiters being in Human Resource Departments and they may even have their own speciality, i.e., nurse recruiters, but I've never heard of a separate Recruitment Department. We follow the same procedure as Jim.