Getting Rewarded for Doing Your Job....

"We are currently using it, and I would say that although the concept is good, it is just like any other program. We have those that are mad if someone else gets nominated, those that are always nominated, and those that get nominated for basicly doing their job. . . "

The above comment made by a forumite on the FISH post is the basis of this post.

Our company has spot bonuses and other reward acknowledgements that are given to employees, usually for doing something extraordinary. Most of the time, though, I see that the awards are given to an employee for "just doing their job." Somehow, I find this counterproductive. We hire an employee to do a job and hold them to performance standards. We then reward that employee for, say, having no escapes for the past month while doing their inspecting job. Isn't this what we hired them to do in the first place?

Don't you think the rewards should go to the employee who goes the extra mile? Beyond the regular work duties?

What do you all think on this subject?

H

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I agree that employees shouldn't be rewarded for doing the job for which we provide a paycheck - isn't that what we agreed to at the time of hire? Bonuses, rewards, etc., should be for "above and beyond" and not often given as most employees, including this old HR person don't typically or often go above and beyond. We just try to do what we are here to do and as well as we can.
  • Every job has performance standards. If you would expect the average inspector to miss one item in 1,000 and your current inspector doesn't miss anything, then reward him/her for excellence on the job.

I'm a firm believer in rewards. Too many managers are quick to jump on the mistake but don't say a thing when employees excel in their jobs.

This recognition costs the company very little monitarily, but can go miles in creating a good work environment and satisfied workers.
  • We have an annual "Employee of the Year" award. It used to be given by the Supervisor and Board of Trustees (we are a local government entity), and ended up being given to political allies of the Board - they don't work here, and don't know most of the employees. When I came on board, I changed the procedure. Nominations are made by employees, a Nominating Committee composed of past honorees reviews the nominations and makes recommendations to the Board (the Board makes the final decision). The award is supposed to recognize "exceptional" performance by an employee who has shown an "exceptional" achievement or contribution, or who has demonstrated their commitment to the core values as incorporated in our Mission Statement. The nomination form instructs the nominator to be very specific in detailing what makes the person deserving of the award. It has turned out to be a competition between departments, a popularity contest, and "well, let's see, who hasn't received the award yet?" I really tried, but human nature and the culture of the organization won out. At this point, I am looking for other ideas for recognition for small organizations that would avoid the special reward for just doing your job.
  • We have a merit increase and performance incentive program in place, tied to EE's annual performance review rating. It's set up to provide significantly greater rewards to people who do excellent work than to those who just do enough to get by with a "satisfactory" performance rating.

I think it's important to reward those who do excellent work-- even if they're only performing the duties regularly assigned to them, and not taking on extra work or projects. Not to do so sends the message that it doesn't pay the EE to expend the extra effort to do high quality work, since those who just do work of average or minimum-acceptable quality will receive just as much reward.

I beleieve our program has been successful in driving better EE performance. But it does take a lot of work, in doing detailed and accurate performance reviews, and detailed planning of individual EE's goals & objectives for the coming year. And the system MUST significantly differentiate between high performers and low or minimum performers-- not just give everyone the same reward regardless of their performance. Otherwise, your incentive or bonus payments are a waste of $$ for the employer-- they do nothing to drive strong performance. And such misused bonus payments actually contribute to EE discontent, since those who do better work will resent that the foot-draggers get just as much reward as they do.

• We have an employee of the month and basically it is given to an employee who went above and beyond their normal job duties to either help another ee or gave extra effort to get a product out the door.

The person is nominated by a supervisor and second by other supervisors and me.
  • The reward should go only to those meeting the definition stated in the rewards program policy statement.
  • My accounting manager, second in company longevity, has a saying about this stuff.

"Don't priase me, pay me!"

I am a capitalist at heart, and think that the monetary exchange is the core of our EE/ER agreement. Those that go above and beyond get higher pay.

Yes, public recognition and an occasional pat on the back are part of the equation.

Our Exec Dir gives out Starbucks gift cards and a personal note for specific events that come to her attention. These also go a long way.

Other than that, no specific rewards here.
  • This year we stopped giving the production labor bonus; I was able to convenience the management staff that they were not getting the best "BANG FOR THE BUCKS" with labor bonus dollars. We jumped our starting rate of pay and put the bonus money and all the turnover money into base pay.

It has made an immediate impact on the quality of the employees; additionally, we took a close look at all our written procedures to ascertain if the procedure impacted heavily in the weekly production of "piglets".

We have just recently jumped from an average number of piglets sold 9,728 per week to bumping on the 12,000 level with the same animals, but with unleashed procedures, unleashed the feeling of selfworth by the employee because we are paying more on an everyday basis to get the work accomplished with less manhours. The average labor worker never got to get the bonus award, because the farm could not produce "1000 baby piglets". Gues what, we now have 7 out of 11 farms that are producing the minimum that they could not reach before.

It is amazing how much things can change, when you catch the right "WIND". One farm is even getting the work done within the 40 hour work week for all employees. 50 to 60 hours of work a week was a norm to get the same work done, but we are doing it better today. Analysis will tell you that there was a lot of "riding the clock", just to make the money rather than the to make the "piglets". We are getting more production and in less time. The cost remains about the same because we are paying more for the base hourly wage.

PORK
  • The biggest reason your piglet count increased is the fact that they began showing movies in the breeding areas. I don't see how employee productivity could affect pork gestation unless some of the slower sows needed demonstrations.
  • Sometimes the problem is - is that whomever administers the bonus/recognition program often "looks" for reasons/ways to reward employees just so the program will stay alive and people will remain interested.

This is when the program becomes ineffective.

Handing out bonuses to employees who didn't earn it becomes a real thorn when that money starts to go away or isn't awarded as frequently. People start to think, well, I showed up today - I think I should get a bonus for that.

Going above and beyond the call of duty - working outside of the box (and I don't mean cubicle)- and not staying within one's own department to get work accomplished are all highly recognizable achievements. Don't get lazy and just hand out rewards just to hand them out.

If you do, then your employees will get lazy.
  • We are in our third year of an Employee of the Quarter program. We have nomination forms that employees submit, and Team Leaders review and vote on. The form includes lines to describe how the person went above and beyond in the quarter. Every three months, someone usually has stepped up to the plate in a tough situation and deserves a special acknowledgement. The winner is announced at our quarterly employee meeting. I'll read some of the comments, then announce the winner. They receive a gift bag of approx $35 - $45 of items. Four times a year is frequent, but not excessive and the annual expense minimal. We're having fun with it.
  • I am in the process of coaching our managers in the art of rewarding employees. The service awards, employee awards and such have some value both to the employee and the company. However, when you take the time to immediately reward, customize the award for the person and for the occasion, you will receive a far better return. As far as rewarding people for doing their job, there is nothing wrong with offering praise for the challenges and problems employees overcome in accomplishing their goals and supporting the strategic initiatives of the company. I am not sure of the current focus on this issue with other forum members, but I am leading an initiative to change employee recognition / evaluations which I would like share with other forum members. Please contact me if you are interested.

Hhaynal, I apologize, I did not mean to hijack your string. I am very passionate about this topic.

Steve