OSHA

Are there any requirements for footware? All I can find is the statement"When employees are exposed to the possibility of foot injuries,foot protection shall be worn" What does that mean? Can a company require closed toed shoes for secrataries because they might have their toes stepped on? Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Not knowing your industry, I am currently working in a manufacturing environment. A PPE (personal protective equipment) assessment is required by OSHA. We have to conduct a visual assessment of the entire facility and determine what hazards exist and then are required to provide the equipment necessary to deal with or counter those hazards. OSHA does not dictate PPE, only that you assess your workplace environment and make appropriate decisions. Accordingly, we allow no sandals, open toed shoes, heels, cloth shoes or mules. We require steel toed shoes in some of our areas. And, yes, you can require that secretaries wear closed toed shoes if you determine that's appropriate, especially if they do or must enter the environment where toe damage may be a concern.
  • Very well put. The only thing I would add is that certain protective foot wear needs to meet published standards. As an example, if you decide on steel toes shoes, they must meet OSHA and ANSI standards.
  • "Can a company require closed toed shoes for secrataries because they might have their toes stepped on?"

The company can require that secretaries wear closed toed shoes merely as part of the company's dress code. Everyone in every workplace might get their toes stepped on. You can make it part of your dress code without that justification. If the secretaries were exposed to a hazzard area such as in a production, a kitchen, or construction, then it would be a safety issue.