Back brace Waiver

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-21-05 AT 07:10AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Good morning!

Our IT guys lift a lot of monitors, boxes, etc. and one of them has requested a back brace.

Does anyone have a waiver that they have employees sign stating that they acknowledge that they must wear a back brace when lifting heavy items as well as understanding how it is to be used? If so, can you please email it to me at [email]snewman@lighthousecredit.org[/email]

Thank you!!

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • My suggestion is to not use one. They have long been associated with enabling lower back injuries rather than preventing them. I did a lot of reserach on the matter a couple of years ago.

A study by NIOSH concluded that, amongst other things, back belts give employees a false sense of security, contribute to improper lifting technique and potentially encourages employees to lift heavier weights than they should.

I would suggest training on proper lifting techniques, including buddy /team lifting for anything in excess of 45 pounds or any item with an odd center of gravity. The way to tackle this is through proper work controls and behaviors.

Gene
  • Gene is on target in all counts. I came from a health care environment where back braces were considered for nursing staff because they often lift or turn patients. There were more injuries because of that 'false sense of security' and worse lifting techniques than if the back brace was (were?) not used.

In this local government entity where we have work crews who work with concrete, hot mix, trenching and digging, we find the same thing. The very best technique is to train at least every year in proper lifting techniques. I would only look at back braces on an individual basis and only if the EE requested one.
  • I concur with TN HR.

PORK
  • Thank you for the quick response!!!

Our company is a call center enviornment so we really don't do a lot of lifting, etc.

Based on the responses I received I will conduct another training regarding heavy lifting and will not purchase any back braces.

Thanks again!

I hope you have a great day!
  • I agree with the others. But, if you do provide them, they're considered personal protective equipment under OSHA regulation, if you're covered. And OSHA requires that the ee be trained in the use of any PPE provided. We document all training, including use of PPE.
  • This is an excellent point made by Don. Also, make absolutely certain that if you do decide to use them, that you stress proper wear. Something else I learned in my research is that a properly fitted back brace is actually fairly uncomfortable in terms of snugness. Many people loosen them to the point that they serve absolutely no purpose.