Personal Appearance

I'm not sure if I'm just venting or looking for advice,but this is my situation for today.
A male employee complained today about a female employee's top. This female employee has always "pushed the line" by wearing tank tops(and other suggestive attire)which is not appropriate according to our handbook. I talked to the female employee and she became upset, stating that she was so tired about this and how she doesn't understand the difference between what she is wearing and a nearby co-worker who looks like he comes to work straight from getting out of bed. I guess my problem is she as always dressed this way, talked to a few times and continues to dress that way without being reprimanded any other way. I feel like talking to her is a lost cause with Management but I don't want to ignore the male employee's complaint either.

Trish in CO

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If her dress isn't within scope of your policies, send her home to change. I would reprimand her immediately and let her know that one more offense and disciplinary action will ensue. Make sure you are consistent. You may want to address the "bed clothes" guy if he is also not following policy.
  • First, why are you talking to her? Is she your direct report? Her supervisor should be handling the matter. Second, if that's your company culture, unless your management supports the policy and supports you trying to enforce it, you're wasting your breath. She's probably "tired of" being chastised for something she knows she's not really required to do (i.e. she's been talked to a few times already with no change). No consequences; no behavior changes. If you have management's support, I agree with other poster. Tell her how it is and send her home to change and that you won't discuss any other employee issue that does not concern her. If you don't have management support, then I would do nothing except tell the male employee to look the other way. Next thing you know, she'll be crying sexual harassment because some guy is looking at her chest; doesn't matter that she flaunts it.
  • I agree. If Management is unwilling to follow their own policies, it's not your place to be the Tank Top Sheriff.
  • TRISH in CO: Welcome to the FORUM! I must assume that you are an HR person, therefore, my comment is relavent.

As an HR person, I have learned a long time ago that the roll of HR is to develop and install policy and procedures (the dress code). We are not the police of each and every issue!!! The company is run by a group of people paid to manage issues and situations and people called employees. Unless you are assigned the "police uniform" then back out of any and all situations and press the complaint to the operational part of the business, the "chain of authority". They get paid to police and manage their people, you only make sure the procedures that the company wants to have in place for them to manage is fair and consistent with other procedures, rules, guidlines, and the like. You have an additional role for Empolyee Relations, which allows you to become involved with the employee for all sorts of reasons/conditions of concern. It is then your skills and position of authority that allows you to get this train back on the right track! The right track "is supervisor/manager"!

If you want that role of "police", you will surly get it and the management chain of authority will be getting the pay, while you are dealing with the headaches!

Let us know how this works out.

PORK
  • In know this is a left field thought - but here goes. What is the difference between an employee complaining about being exposed to nude pinups in the workplace and live overexposure? Is an employee coming forward and stating they are not comfortable with her attire (I'm stretching here I realize)being subjected to unwelcome "sexual" conduct?
  • Her supervisor was uncomfortable talking to her, maybe because he is male. I offered to talk to her for him since I knew he felt this way. The male employee who complained feels she is not dressed appropriately for this type of office. I and probably all the other employees agree; however, she has been here for 3 years and still dresses this way. I guess I'm just venting after all. Had I been in this position 3 years ago when she was hired, I would've bugged the supervisors at that time to not allow that type of clothing. My biggest concern is it takes one person to make a comment and thereby a lawsuit follows, but if Upper Mgmt is unwilling to "reprimand" her more, then I guess I shouldn't worry about it.

• Have a chat with your upper management team about your dress code in general - you can cover bed clothes guy as an example too. If it's not something that you as a team will enforce as a policy then would remove the guidelines.
  • Have a chat with your upper management team about your dress code in general - you can cover bed clothes guy and shirts too low lady as examples. If it's not something that you as a team will enforce as a policy then would remove the guidelines.