OSHA advice on setting up workroom?

We would like to get an educated opinion about setting up a workshop with equipment (lathe, drill press, band saw,etc.) in our professional offices. Is there a category of consultants who advise on how to make such an area OSHA compliant? Not so much advice on wearing goggles, etc., we can figure that out based on the equipment instructions, more like do we need extra ventilation, exhaust, fire extinguishers, safety shields, etc.

Now that i think about it, i wonder if our workers comp group provides that expertise. I'm also a little worried about what that will do to our workers' comp rating (we'd limit use to certain positions, of which there are two people).

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Carol

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It sounds as if you're not doing much above a general multi-trade shop. Pretty tame stuff. In this case, bring your WC's risk management expert (they have them free of charge, just ask). He or she will conduct a thourough risk asessment and will be able to advice on PPE, guarding, SOP's, etc.

You may also want to get the machinery manufacturer involved for start-up training, etc, etc. They will be a great source for developing training material for future hires as well.

Good luck.

Gene
  • Carol, most states have OSHA consultants available too. When you invite them in and while they are there, you are immune from OSHA inspections. But, the consultant will make recommendations and if her/his recommendations are not followed, you face enforcement. After all, they are still OSHA. But in this consulting capacity they are very helpful. I've used them before with much success. Good luck!
  • Appearing to be 'OSHA compliant' is maybe 10% of the solution to workplace safety. Good training on each piece of equipment is essential, even for the guys who think they know everything there is to know. In the event of a future accident, you may be called upon to show what training you offered prior to turning people loose on the equipment.

Here are some of the seemingly minor things that give me fits here:

Bench grinders - every time I do a walking inspection I find that somebody has locked the chip shields in an up position rendering them innefective.

Machine guarding and auto cutoff - This is the biggest problem. Employees in every workplace are very creative at defeating safety switches and either removing or rendering innefective guards, switches, safety catches and shields.

Electrical cords and conduit - several of our accidents have been caused by frayed cords, cords strung across floors or items such as electrical conduit being left on the floor in work areas.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'll bet you that all of your accidents will be due to the fact that these guys think they do not need training and think they do not need to listen to safety instruction.