Personnel File Access Law

I recently had to lay off several individuals. One of them wanted copies of their personnel file. I gave it to him, but now he wants copies of WC files too. There is nothing in the law that covers that specifically. I don't have a problem giving him copies, but I would like to know if I am obligated to do so. The law only talks about records pertaining to employment. This same person's wife was throwing garbage around my parking lot while I talked to the employee, so I am not in the helping mood right now either. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Lots of this is state law specific.

My attitude, in general, is not to allow copies of any company records unless they are subpoenaed.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-26-05 AT 01:09PM (CST)[/font][br][br]We have always taken the position that an ee is entitled to a copy of anything s/he would have received (i.e. counseling statements, performance, evaluations, etc.). Most of our forms are in triplicate, so the ee should have received a coy at the time the document was presented to the ee. I know sometimes they lose it, so we will give them a copy of those documents only.

For W/C, the ee should have received a copy of the doctor's notes (i.e. restrictions, when the ee could return to work, etc.). I would provide that documentation, but IMHO, the Adjuster's log, correspondence between the carrier and er are proprietary. I would not give that documentation to the ee.

That is all absent a subpoena, as Marc stated. For us, there are parts of the Adjuster's log that are privileged. This is when the Adjuster is discussing a case with out W/C attorneys. Even when we provide those pursuant to a subpoena, we provide a redacted [sp?] copy and identify the documentation on the privilege log.
  • If the comp situation resulted from exposure, blood borne pathogens and a few other situations, federal law requires that they have access to that, regardless of state law or employer policy.

If that is not the situation, I would not provide anything from a medical or comp file, period, without a subpoena. It's best to get legal guidance on that, even when you have a subpoena. Depending on the depth of the comp case, you may well have attorney-client privileged documents in the file or other items the attorney will not want given to him.

I'm in the middle of four (4) ex-employee situations right now where attorneys are involved on both sides involving comp or comp denials. Very tedious and time consuming, but nothing is released without the above being done.
  • Thanks everyone. After looking at the law, it seems to me that he has a right to copy the files. There are no specifics on medical, but I checked with SHRM and their opinion is that since it is not specifically stated that it is an exception, they have a right to the information. There is no "case". He just wants copies. I'm sure he is fishing for something, he won't find anything though. His wife is not a very nice person and she is very angry that he lost his job. We down-sized.
  • I don't understand. You say there is 'no case' but he wants a copy of his WC file. If he has a WC file, there must have been a WC case at some time.

Additionally, I would caution you that SHRM is nothing more than a giver of opinions, just like we are. Good luck to you with this one.
  • Read your State law carefully. If you're talking about a former employee, the law may not apply. Most right-to-access laws pertain to current employees.
  • We provide copies of only documents the employee has
    signed. Other information would have to be
    provided through a subpoena. I would be careful on this one. Crout makes a good point.