Employee refusing to work

Help - we are a private company. An employee has been given a directive from her immediate supervisor, Sr. VP, to help out with front-desk duties for a couple of days next week. Employee maintains this specific job duty is not in her job description and has (is) refusing to do it. Our job descriptions all contain a clause that basically says the duties listed are not all inclusive - the job description is not intended to cover all aspects of the responsibilities of the job...that the position is expected to perform other work-related duties as assigned even though they may not be considered essential functions or specifically identified in the description.

My recommendation is suspension without pay for a day and making it clear that upon return, the employee will still be expected to full-fill front desk duties...and termination if employee still refuses upon return. Am I being too harsh??????Help..

Comments

• 25 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Going strictly off the information presented, you have insubordination and are handling it just fine.

We are also a private company and we ALL help out as needed ANYWHERE.
  • I don't think so. However, if you want can warn her of the consequences if she doesn't obey a reasonable order from her supervisor.
    If it was me, since in this case the ee has a warning of several days, I would tell her that either she does the job or she will be terminated (for insubordination).
  • Too harsh? Nooooooo. Not that it really matters, but why does the employee NOT want to help out with front-desk duties? Short of a contract or a discrimination issue, I don't see how she can refuse and keep her job. But it's up to you. Unless this is a valued employee or a job that's difficult to fill, I would send the employee home followed by a termination letter.
  • Thanks for the reply. The employee is refusing to help with front-desk duties because she feels it's beneath her to answer the phones and said that she's appauled we would even approach her with such a demeaning task!
  • Maybe her regular job is a little too easy. Do you know how happy I'd be if I got to be the receptionist for a couple days? Anyway, if you have no discriminatory reason for asking her to cover the front, she'll just have to do it.

Tape a sign in the area that says:

"There are no unimportant jobs. There are no unimportant people."
  • If you had this happen before and this is how you addressed it, fine. The main thing is to be consistent. I do not think your proprosal is too harsh, but you want to make sure there are no bad comparables.
  • The employer gets to state what the job requirements are and you have enhanced that with the job description statement. It is always a good idea, though, to make a final attempt to resolve the issue. As stated in another reply, making a statement "you understand that if you don't follow our directions, you will be terminated don't you" will put the person in extra deep doo-doo if they try to challenge the termination.
  • Ditto - and put it in writing:..you have verbally indicated a refusal etc...tomorrow at 8am you will begin duties etc.. and if not, you will be terminated...She can sign or not. You can be sure other ees are waatching how you handle this.
  • YOu may also want to consider the flip side at this point. If you force her to answer the phones, she is going to purposfully do a horrible job. She is going to be rude to people, disconnect calls, etc.

Which is worse?

Can you not get a temp for the few days needed?
  • I completely disagree with JM in ATL. This is the absolute worst you can do. You are being held hostage to the whims of this insubordinate employee. It will set a terrible example and precedent within your organization

My suggestion is that she is given an order to go to the front, along with clear expectations of the job, she refuses either one or purposely does a bad job and progressive discipline begins. Move swiftly on this one.

Gene
  • IMHO, that's the worst way to handle it. I would not pay a temp when I have an employee who is able to do the job. I would not allow this employee to manipulate the situation by deliberately doing a bad job. My last grab at a 'save' would be to counsel the employee on 'team work' and the importance of the position in it's role as being the first contact for the business. If she's unsusceptible to these concepts and still has the attitude of refusal and negativity, begin the termination process.

It's just my way. That's how I'd handle it.
  • NICROMAN: You have an opportunity to pull out your employee hand book, go to the discipline section and find the words that says "the refusal of a lawful order to accomplish work on behalf of the EMPLOYER is grounds for immediate TERMINATION FOR INSUBORDINATION.

Call the employee in and let her read those underlined words with you and a witness present.

At the conclusion you can get her attention by issuing a written warning that says she understands that the failure to be at her work place the Receptionist position on xxx date at xxx time will be grounds for immediate TERMINATION.

Now that you have gained the "high ground" then let her discuss her reasoning for such a poor judgement call on her part. However, do not come off of the "high ground", until you are satisfied that the battle has been won.

Oh what a beautiful Blessed day it will be and may we all share in it.

PORK
  • Really, you've hired this person to do a job, and it falls under "other duties as assigned". If she grudingly does the front desk work and does it poorly, then you discipline for performance. If she refuses to do it, you discipline for insubordination.

Otherwise all you'll hear from your ee's is "it's not my job".

• You are on the right track, but may be going off the road a little. I agree with Pork and the others.
    Sit the person down. Explain to them that this is a reasonable business request. Tell them that if they refuse to do this it is insubordination and could mean termination. Have a witness in with you and/or provide it in writing. Give them a day to think about it (if you want). If they still refuse, terminate them for insubordination (or some even look at it as resignation). If you have covered your bases, you shouldn't have to pay unemployment and I can't see where an suit would prevail.
    I wouldn't bother going through suspension, unless you have this in your policy. Insubordination is what it is and you are either insubordinate or your aren't. (The only other thing to make sure is covered is are there any disability reasons/deafness that prohibit employee from doing the job or that they need some type of accommodation.)

I get so mad at folks who think that something is beneath them to do. (I could understand if they said they were swamped with work but would be glad to do it tomrrow, just please not today.) People should be glad they have employment. If they don't want to work, whatever it may be, then go somewhere else.
    E Wart
  • Thank you - I appreciate the support.
    There is absolutely no reason why this employee is unable to sit at the front desk for approx. 15 minutes for a total of 3 days to help out. We've given her more time than she's deserved..we've sat, we've talked, we've counseled, we've asked that she get on board and join the rest of the team, etc., etc., etc., and her response "I will not do it". In my opinion, she needs to get off her high horse...she's very concerned about someone she knows walking through our doors and see that "she's answering the phones"... and what would this do to her "image"!

I briefly had a discussion with her supervisor last night and told her I would begin the termination paperwork first thing this morning...and the supervisor is still not sure that we need to be this "hard-nosed" about it. What planet am I on? Who's the employer here?

• Will your supervisor believe the concensus of a group of HR professionals? I can see that you may not want to print this thread and show it to her. Use some of our logic and experience. Show her how grave an error it would be to allow the employee to dictate to you. Good luck. Let us know.
  • Actually, the question is who is the supervisor here. There is a time to be hard-nosed. This is one of those times. Maybe the ee thinks they can refuse the job because they've refused an order in the past and the supervisor let them get away with it.

• What planet is the supervisor on? Does she have a clue as to the business need for someone to cover the position or is she just a glorified supervisor in title only? In my environment insubordination is grounds for termination. I would issue a NOTICE OF INTENT TO DISCIPLINE, send the ee home and then mail a term letter to them by certified mail. I would call them on the phone and let them know of the termination and the reason for termination. I would also document all conversations and use them at the UI hearing. Beneath them to answer the phone, just when did this become a task that is beneath someone? Heck, I answer my phone all day long when I don’t have the do-not-disturb button engaged
  • Sorry, she has been told enough, ask her to cover the desk, when she refuses terminate her on the spot. Stop wasting time over this..... we all understand the consequences of refusing to do a direct order. I have protested a work assignment once, quite strongly (to go to peoples homes who called in sick on a Saturday to verify they were sick) made it clear that I thought it was crap, rude to the employees etc. etc.. Finally I was given a direct order to do it, so I did what I was ordered to do. I made my point, my corporate manager was livid that they had us do that.
    If she refuses, terminate on the spot........she understands the consequences. Then when this is done, you need to find the right moment to sit down with the VP, make sure they are past the emotional issue and are on the same page.
    My $0.02 worth,
    THe Balloonman

• Hey DJ, good to hear from you. How is that new job going?
  • My life sucks right now! x:D Home and work......but hey I had a great interview today.
    Balloonman
  • Are you looking to get back into HR or are you talking about tying balloons in the park?x;-)
  • Back to my strenght, straight safety, balloon business is booming....and been ratholing the cash may need is if the big D hits me up.

Balloonman
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-25-05 AT 07:40AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I tried to tell you that riding that many miles with a thin peg stuck up your butt and wasting all that lung energy blowing up (those things) would endanger your relationship. But, NOOOOooooooooo, you would not listen. x:-) But, fear not. The Forum will bring offers of consolation. Trust me.
  • Don't mean to change the subject of this post, but I gotta ask. Mr. Balloon, are ya coming back to us? Back to the La La land?